Situation update - 1st May 2016

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Situation update - 1st May 2016

by Winterflaw » Wed May 04, 2016 12:38 pm

dusky wrote:dissapointed of nostalrius team . they just sold out. looks like now kronos are my vanilla representatives atleast they dont sell out.

SDIQ.

Srsly, who are all these jokers? no one in their right mind thinks this and writes in this way. I actually begin to wonder if there is a group deliberately working to undermine and sabotage the Nost team and community.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by dusky » Wed May 04, 2016 1:26 pm

Winterflaw wrote:
dusky wrote:dissapointed of nostalrius team . they just sold out. looks like now kronos are my vanilla representatives atleast they dont sell out.

SDIQ.

Srsly, who are all these jokers? no one in their right mind thinks this and writes in this way. I actually begin to wonder if there is a group deliberately working to undermine and sabotage the Nost team and community.

there is no such thing as nost community anymore . nost sold out and is no longer online forever.
dusky
Grunt
Grunt

by Trixyy » Wed May 04, 2016 1:48 pm

Winterflaw wrote:

SDIQ.

PEOPLE THINK DIFFERENT THAN ME

OH MY GOD MUST BE CONSPIRACY

No bruh. We just dont agree this is right. Off your high horse
Trixyy
Grunt
Grunt

by knobbl » Wed May 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Noxm wrote:Promised ? where its promised ?

Quote from the Post: "We know the time you spent here, the guilds you were part of, and these people with whom you have shared experiences with. We know the strength of these links, and we also know that they do not need a special WoW realm to survive. However, we will still be publicly providing everything needed in order to setup your own “Nostalrius” if you are willing to.

Today is also the day where Nostalrius will start being community-driven in the truest sense of the word, as we will be releasing the source code, and anonymized players data (encrypting personal account data), so the community as a whole will decide the form of the future of Nostalrius. We will still be there in the background if you want us to, but will no longer take the lead."

I Take this as a promise

And could u maybe stop censoring Posts that are against your opinions ? Whats going on here ? What happend with you guys since you talk with blizzard and after the massiv support "WE" gave you all...
knobbl
Tester

by Garfunkel » Wed May 04, 2016 4:12 pm

You mean the company that openly makes money via running private servers? So Nost, who did not make any money out if this are the sell outs but Twinstar isn't? Oh my sides! :lol:

dusky wrote:there is no such thing as nost community anymore . nost sold out and is no longer online forever.

Says the guy who registered after Nost was shut down and has made almost zero posts. Sure buddy, you're certainly a pillar of the community, knowing the thoughts of the masses. :roll:
FInd me on: Laureliana - Lauraliana - Lauroliana - Lauruliana - Lauriliana
NELF POWER!
Garfunkel
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Winterflaw » Wed May 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Trixyy wrote:
Winterflaw wrote:

SDIQ.

PEOPLE THINK DIFFERENT THAN ME

OH MY GOD MUST BE CONSPIRACY

No bruh. We just dont agree this is right. Off your high horse

What you've said, which doesn't address the issue but rather acts to try to mask it with an illusion of reasonableness, is in line with my concerns about a deliberate effort to disrupt the community.

What's being said makes no sense - Nost was a volunteer effort; there's no way they can "sell out", when they didn't have to do any of it in the first place - and it is being said in a completely argumentative and obnoxious fashion.

When people who are deliberately arguing a case which fundamentally makes no sense invoke the principle of difference of opinions it is an attempt to hide real motives. I note also the people arguing in this way are - strangly, and this is noteworthy - are ALL presenting arguments in a disruptive and abusive manner; short posts, no reasoning, obnoxious and argumentative. I also note what seems to be fairly consistent use of English as a second language.

There are available for hire mechanical-turk like groups who will generate FB posts, twitter posts, all sorts of forum and on-line social activity, on demand, on the subject of choice with the view of choice, for a given fee.

I do not know if this is the case here, but I think the possibility is significant enough that it has to be considered. I note also back on the Rebirth, where I played for a year, they were under constant DDoS attacks. I have no idea who from, but they never ended. A group, or groups, out there, don't like Vanilla and have resources to act upon that dislike.

So, yes. I suspect you are quite possibly a fake. You are a for-hire poster, and you and the other people in your group, are for money trying to break up the Nost community.
Winterflaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by dusky » Wed May 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Garfunkel wrote:

You mean the company that openly makes money via running private servers? So Nost, who did not make any money out if this are the sell outs but Twinstar isn't? Oh my sides! :lol:

dusky wrote:there is no such thing as nost community anymore . nost sold out and is no longer online forever.

Says the guy who registered after Nost was shut down and has made almost zero posts. Sure buddy, you're certainly a pillar of the community, knowing the thoughts of the masses. :roll:

yeye considering i had 2 t2 characters on nost and never really used forum before . keep protecting ur sold out french surrenders . noone will give ur characters or ur lost time to you anyway.
dusky
Grunt
Grunt

by Trixyy » Wed May 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Winterflaw wrote:So, yes. I suspect you are quite possibly a fake. You are a for-hire poster, and you and the other people in your group, are for money trying to break up the Nost community.

you do not live in the real world.

Nost said they would released the mangos updated code. They have changed positions because Blizzard is going to placate them with a pointless meeting where they can discuss worthless probably wont even happen Pristine servers.

Your logic is exactly how i imagine this girls brain to work.

https://youtu.be/BY1H1rZL53I

its funny you mention the rebirth, cause thats where i play now. But then again. Im on Blizzard and The Rebirths pay roll.
Trixyy
Grunt
Grunt

by Redcap » Wed May 04, 2016 5:42 pm

This post will be buried on a page this deep but whatever. Private servers are developed with crowd-sourced open public scripts, free to everyone. Mangos is the big one that 1.12.1 projects use, which Nostalrius used, which Valkyrie, Classic-WoW, Vengeance, Feenix / Emerald Dream and Rebirth used. Some projects like Valkyrie (and this one) made initial claims that the core in use was so customized and so modified that it became its own project, but that doesn't change the fact of where the base was taken.

https://www.getmangos.eu/home.php

The point is that open to the public, crowd sourced projects like Mangos require that a team taking the core for their own use to submit back bug fixes and content scripting to the source. Most private servers do not do this but it does not make it any less wrong - a very few, like Rebirth, do contribute back to Mangos with what they develop.

Nostalrius pledged to 'do the right thing' in releasing their latest patched version of the core. Nostalrius was under an obligation to do so to the Mangos crowd sourced project from which their base was taken. So it really is that simple - the player base had a very reasonable expectation of what was promised being followed through. Nostalrius was to join the very elite ranks of the very few private server projects that wouldn't rip off the crowd-sourced project in the end.

If this doesn't make sense to the readers, I don't know how else to help you. As a final note, Blizzard has no legal grounds at all involving the decision Nostalrius is making in regards to their updated core. A crowd-sourced project of scratch built code doesn't belong to them in a manner which grants regulation.
Redcap
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Kikeron » Wed May 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Garfunkel wrote:Anyone can claim anything on the Internet. As far as you know, I'm a Golden Retriever pretending to be an FBI agent pretending to be a pre-teen girl pretending to be a WoW player. Trying to appeal for imaginary authority in order to bolster your unfounded claims is one of the oldest debating tricks on the book. Maybe you are a self-employed code monkey, maybe you aren't - in either case it does not magically make whatever you write to be true.

As for your claims, well, the evidence goes both ways. Yes, Blizzard has so far been adamantly against Legacy servers. Yes, Brack made that statement and only hinted at Pristine servers which certainly would be something that nobody wants. But that's not the whole picture despite how you try to frame it to be so.

Jagex claimed the exact same excuses that Blizzard has used. Eventually they caved in - they "found" the old code for Runescape, they fixed the client to work with modern Windows and hardware, and if I've understood things correctly, their legacy RS is pretty much just what the players wanted. A similar thing happened with Everquest. So we have to examples straight from the MMO world. Additionally, Beamdog has made a living for a small company "remaking" Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and Icewind Dale, so that they can easily run on modern systems.

Some people claim that Blizzard is so big and savvy, they "must" have done proper market research to see that legacy servers would not be profitable. That's hogwash. Business history is full of companies making colossal mistakes - prime example of course when Coca-Cola company introduced the New Coke:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke
Market research is not infallible and corporations are not super-human entities. They are made up of people and people are emotional creatures prone to mistakes and tunnel vision and what else. Hell, back in 1990 very few people foresaw the collapse of the Soviet Union, even though many of the signs of collapse were visible!

Are we definitely going to get legacy servers? Who knows. Brack's post on Blizz forums was emergency PR measure to calm things down. He didn't say that Blizzard will introduce pristine realms - he simply stated that it was an idea that had been brought up in the studio, to try to fix some of stuff that is not really working well on retail. But for the first time ever, there is now tangible proof of the popularity of vanilla WoW, there is a major attention and support for legacy servers and Blizzard itself is in a situation where "fragmenting" the player base is not the nightmare that it once was supposed to be, because subscription numbers and the number of active players have fallen like a rock. If legacy servers are to ever become official, now is the time.

Be pessimistic if you want but please do not try to convince everyone else that they are an impossible dream - they aren't.

Blizzard never said it was a matter of "lost code". ALL the others are the problem. Support teams, dedicated developers and all the things that comes along with a game. And since there would be a subscription these teams should have been sufficient trained to cope with issues etc.

So, what you called pessimistic, I call it realistic. And don't tell me I try to convince people not to have a dream (BTW we are talking about a game, are we not?), because I will say you give false hopes with no reason at all. Deal?
Kikeron
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements