Meeting report from our post-mortem presentation

Nostalrius official announcements

Re: Meeting report from our post-mortem presentation

by Heldunder » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:36 pm

drabus wrote:If Blizzard is going to make official Legacy servers, they will be announced at BlizzCon, where they make the majority of their announcements. BlizzCon 2016 is scheduled for November 4th-5th.

https://blizzcon.com/en-us/

And while that is almost 5 months away, that is about the appropriate amount of time for a business of that size to work out all of the details on how it will work. They can get a jump on the implementation, so hopefully the release would not be TOO far away from the announcement - but if I were betting on a time frame, it would be Quarter 2 of 2017. (April-June 2017)

All of these opinions are for recreational use only...they are just my guess.

a reaction and guess that makes the most sense.
Heldunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Thefilth » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:20 am

If official legacy servers become a thing, we will get our own section on MMO-champion ROFLMFAO. The kingsize karma toldyouso is making me gleefully smile to myself and rub my slender hands together like an evil genius.

Thanks for the effort Nostalrius.
Thefilth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by melak » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:38 am

Thefilth wrote:If official legacy servers become a thing, we will get our own section on MMO-champion ROFLMFAO. The kingsize karma toldyouso is making me gleefully smile to myself and rub my slender hands together like an evil genius.

Thanks for the effort Nostalrius.

The moderators at mmo-c are the worst, that entire community/forum is filled with douche bags if you ask me, and the moderators feels like corupt cops.
A mage is never late
melak
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by metagame » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:34 pm

Windowlícker wrote:Irrespective of how this turns out, I'm just blown away that a petition online could spur a behemoth of a company like Blizzard to pay attention to its longtime hardcore audience; not to mention the guy that flew all the way from France to the West Coast just for this, that's some mad dedication right there.

Thanks for all your hard work, I hope we can make legacy a reality.

265,000 people signing a petition is a HUGE amount of people. I think individuals sometimes forget the power they have when hundreds of thousands, millions, and most effectively: hundreds of millions of people band together to support a cause.

This concept can't be reiterated enough.
Blockchain - night elf warrior
Meta - gnome warlock
metagame
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Skandale » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:35 pm

First off, acti-blizz can't say either yes or no, because they will want to release the decision them selves, probably during a event. I think a decent assumption is that if they are willing to do this, we can possibly expect to hear a yes in the falls blizzcon. Having said that, polishing the game and gathering all the code and resources that it requires to relaunch the vanilla servers is going to take time, even for a experienced dev team that acti-blizz has. So the question then becomes, how much time will this take? A good assumption, up to a year. So while all of this is very intruiging and interesting, we will not be able to play on a acti-blizz vanilla server for a good year, or possibly more.

A huge concern: Blizzard has not been very good at keeping cheaters away since 2007, during vanilla and tbc during the old blizzard days befor they got bought off activision, old blizzard did a quite decent to good job at keeping cheaters away from their game, even permanently banning players who continued to cheat after receiving a warning, sometimes even more than 1 warning, but they all got banned eventualy if they kept cheating. So why am I bringing this up? Because since then, blizzard has not kept to this concept, they have since then only banned "some" players who cheat, to send a message / signal to the community that they do something about cheating.

It's not enough, allowing cheaters to play the game, and not proactively banning them, creates a toxic atmosphere on the servers, it affects not only global ecconomy, but it allows players to sell and trade their accounts, basicaly "reaping" benefits that many hardcore players has to put in hundreds of hours to achieve, these players most often feel "cheated" because casual players with money are allowed to purchase gold cheaply, thanks to the cheat ecconomy in asia and the cheap laberwork they provivide.

If they keep to the same concept as they have from 2007 till now, we can expect that gold selling, account trading, account selling will be a huge part of the servers. It will take so much away from the game, that I think a lot of us will opt to stop playing on their servers soly because of this reason.

Nostalrius did a damn good job at keeping cheaters away, they were / are proactive about it, and there were showed no mercy for people who sold gold, botted, and went out of their way to cheat, these players got banned without a warning and hessitation, total dedication. As a result, there were basicaly no cheaters playing at nostalrius, every cheater got dealted with.

Gold sellers, yes, there were some, but very few if you take into account how many attempt to do this, only the very few who were good enough to hide their tracks managed to get away with this, and as a result, it did not affect global server ecconomy to a huge extent.
Skandale
Sergeant
Sergeant

by delian1914 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:34 am

So Nostalrius ended and you will be hired in Blizz?
delian1914
Tester

by melak » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:07 am

Skandale wrote:First off, acti-blizz can't say either yes or no, because they will want to release the decision them selves, probably during a event. I think a decent assumption is that if they are willing to do this, we can possibly expect to hear a yes in the falls blizzcon. Having said that, polishing the game and gathering all the code and resources that it requires to relaunch the vanilla servers is going to take time, even for a experienced dev team that acti-blizz has. So the question then becomes, how much time will this take? A good assumption, up to a year. So while all of this is very intruiging and interesting, we will not be able to play on a acti-blizz vanilla server for a good year, or possibly more.

A huge concern: Blizzard has not been very good at keeping cheaters away since 2007, during vanilla and tbc during the old blizzard days befor they got bought off activision, old blizzard did a quite decent to good job at keeping cheaters away from their game, even permanently banning players who continued to cheat after receiving a warning, sometimes even more than 1 warning, but they all got banned eventualy if they kept cheating. So why am I bringing this up? Because since then, blizzard has not kept to this concept, they have since then only banned "some" players who cheat, to send a message / signal to the community that they do something about cheating.

It's not enough, allowing cheaters to play the game, and not proactively banning them, creates a toxic atmosphere on the servers, it affects not only global ecconomy, but it allows players to sell and trade their accounts, basicaly "reaping" benefits that many hardcore players has to put in hundreds of hours to achieve, these players most often feel "cheated" because casual players with money are allowed to purchase gold cheaply, thanks to the cheat ecconomy in asia and the cheap laberwork they provivide.

If they keep to the same concept as they have from 2007 till now, we can expect that gold selling, account trading, account selling will be a huge part of the servers. It will take so much away from the game, that I think a lot of us will opt to stop playing on their servers soly because of this reason.

Nostalrius did a damn good job at keeping cheaters away, they were / are proactive about it, and there were showed no mercy for people who sold gold, botted, and went out of their way to cheat, these players got banned without a warning and hessitation, total dedication. As a result, there were basicaly no cheaters playing at nostalrius, every cheater got dealted with.

Gold sellers, yes, there were some, but very few if you take into account how many attempt to do this, only the very few who were good enough to hide their tracks managed to get away with this, and as a result, it did not affect global server ecconomy to a huge extent.

Last time i played retail (february last year), there were so god damn many gold sellers and acount sellers and all in between, so it seems that they are not really bothered with keeping such pest away. I guess its even worse now.
A mage is never late
melak
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by kaba » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:42 am

Very nice work! Much respect to the Nost team for their commitment and professionalism.
Kaba, 60, Troll Mage
Tohi, 60, Dwarf Rogue
Kaba, 60, Troll Hunter (PvE)
Itai, 60, Gnome Warlock (PvE)
Pa, 60, Dwarf Warrior (PvE)
kaba
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Khayos » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:34 pm

please vote and retweet on this poll so we can give a follow up to Blizzard on getting our legacy servers.

https://twitter.com/Grummz/status/743484605949448192
Khayos
Private
Private

by Norjak » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:07 pm

Skandale wrote:A huge concern: Blizzard has not been very good at keeping cheaters away since 2007, during vanilla and tbc during the old blizzard days befor they got bought off activision, old blizzard did a quite decent to good job at keeping cheaters away from their game, even permanently banning players who continued to cheat after receiving a warning, sometimes even more than 1 warning, but they all got banned eventualy if they kept cheating. So why am I bringing this up? Because since then, blizzard has not kept to this concept, they have since then only banned "some" players who cheat, to send a message / signal to the community that they do something about cheating.

It's not enough, allowing cheaters to play the game, and not proactively banning them, creates a toxic atmosphere on the servers, it affects not only global economy, but it allows players to sell and trade their accounts, basically "reaping" benefits that many hardcore players has to put in hundreds of hours to achieve, these players most often feel "cheated" because casual players with money are allowed to purchase gold cheaply, thanks to the cheat economy in asia and the cheap laberwork they provide.

If they keep to the same concept as they have from 2007 till now, we can expect that gold selling, account trading, account selling will be a huge part of the servers. It will take so much away from the game, that I think a lot of us will opt to stop playing on their servers soley because of this reason.

Nostalrius did a damn good job at keeping cheaters away, they were / are proactive about it, and there were showed no mercy for people who sold gold, botted, and went out of their way to cheat, these players got banned without a warning and hessitation, total dedication. As a result, there were basically no cheaters playing at nostalrius, every cheater got dealt with.

Gold sellers, yes, there were some, but very few if you take into account how many attempt to do this, only the very few who were good enough to hide their tracks managed to get away with this, and as a result, it did not affect global server economy to a huge extent.

I agree, Nostalrius did a better job keeping their two servers free of cheaters & gold sellers than Blizz - but Blizz always had a much larger community to look after.
I felt at several times (especially post-Cata) that Blizz either didn't care about Bots or couldn't pursue them on technical or legal grounds, I'm not sure which. It was pretty bad at times.
This is one concern I have i they try to bring back Vanilla servers, people have had over a decade to develop & polish their toolbox of cheats. I'm just wondering how motivated Blizz would be at stopping them.
Norjak
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements