Tanking

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Re: Tanking

by Grinde » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Keep an eye out for Gnomenclatur... He's a beast.
Justyce - 7 Dwarf Palatank
Grinde
Grunt
Grunt

by diogenes » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 am

Theloras wrote:A Paladin aoe tanking makes 40man raid gauntlets a breeze in BWL and AQ40 plus spider packs in Naxxramas.

Once BWL is released here, the gauntlet before Broodlord Lashlayer and then goblin packs afterwards will be super easy with a Paladin aoe tanking them (especially if they have Force Reactive Disc for their shield) as the raid nukes them down.

Not to mention Drakonid add spawns during phase 1 and then phase 3 Undead Constructs for the Nefarian fight.

As I was reading this I was thinking that this was either a post from Cysthen or Theloras. I looked at the author, and sure enough, I was right.
diogenes
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Theloras » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:33 am

diogenes wrote:
Theloras wrote:A Paladin aoe tanking makes 40man raid gauntlets a breeze in BWL and AQ40 plus spider packs in Naxxramas.

Once BWL is released here, the gauntlet before Broodlord Lashlayer and then goblin packs afterwards will be super easy with a Paladin aoe tanking them (especially if they have Force Reactive Disc for their shield) as the raid nukes them down.

Not to mention Drakonid add spawns during phase 1 and then phase 3 Undead Constructs for the Nefarian fight.

As I was reading this I was thinking that this was either a post from Cysthen or Theloras. I looked at the author, and sure enough, I was right.

liez...
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by St0rfan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:22 am

diogenes wrote:

To be fair. In my previous (now defunct) guild Honorable on Emerald Dream, we would use a paladin tank for Depression-room and Gobin packs and it was awesome. Obviously a holy paladin with T2/Spelldmg/Tank-gear though, I mean what raid leader in their right mind would bring a prot-paladin for such a minor role?:D The same role can be managed (almost) as well by a protection warrior with Force reactive/Drillborrers, thorium shieldspike and Thunderfury.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Theloras » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:20 am

St0rfan wrote:
diogenes wrote:

To be fair. In my previous (now defunct) guild Honorable on Emerald Dream, we would use a paladin tank for Depression-room and Gobin packs and it was awesome. Obviously a holy paladin with T2/Spelldmg/Tank-gear though, I mean what raid leader in their right mind would bring a prot-paladin for such a minor role?:D The same role can be managed (almost) as well by a protection warrior with Force reactive/Drillborrers, thorium shieldspike and Thunderfury.

AOE threat and DPS from a Protection warrior...

LOL...

I never said the Paladin HAD to be Prot spec to do it - that's putting words in my mouth - when I used to raid I was 11 / 9 / 31 spec which allows a Paladin to function in all three roles (Healer, Tank, DPS) in either PvE or PvP just fine and dandy.

Redoubt is also a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better talent for AOE threat and DPS with Force Reactive Disc compared to a warrior's Shield Block (I'd rather have multiple block charges than a single charge any day of the week when fighting AOE packs).

You also do realize how rare Thunderfury will be here on Nostalrius - no one can just poney up 700 Euros and have it mailed to them here...
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Grinde » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:40 am

You guys are really making me rethink my decision on warrior...

I have no intentions on raising. It COULD happen, but I doubt it. I want to tank, and I want to be a tank through the leveling up process. As a warrior, I understand I can do it as any spec as I level, as a Druid I'd need to be feral bear, and as a paladin I'm not quite sure, but I'm guessing prot. Warrior from what is gather, I'd probably level as arms/fury and switch to
Prot for "ease".

Also, from what I read, all of the above are fine for 5-mans, which is probably more towards my gaming speed.

I don't really mind what class I play, I just want to tank. Not heal (if I wanted to do that I'd be a priest). I should add that I don't have any characters to level ten yet, so this is essentially my first character. I realize we all have biases, but does anyone have any wisdom on the route to go?
Justyce - 7 Dwarf Palatank
Grinde
Grunt
Grunt

by St0rfan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:26 pm

You cant buy TF on Emerald Dream, never could (unless corrupt GM/Admins?), but you know this since you came from there aswell. Warsong on the other hand you can buy pretty much everything.

Grinde wrote:You guys are really making me rethink my decision on warrior...

I have no intentions on raising. It COULD happen, but I doubt it. I want to tank, and I want to be a tank through the leveling up process. As a warrior, I understand I can do it as any spec as I level, as a Druid I'd need to be feral bear, and as a paladin I'm not quite sure, but I'm guessing prot. Warrior from what is gather, I'd probably level as arms/fury and switch to
Prot for "ease".

Also, from what I read, all of the above are fine for 5-mans, which is probably more towards my gaming speed.

I don't really mind what class I play, I just want to tank. Not heal (if I wanted to do that I'd be a priest). I should add that I don't have any characters to level ten yet, so this is essentially my first character. I realize we all have biases, but does anyone have any wisdom on the route to go?
´

- Warrior, best tank and if you decide to raid you will be welcomed.
- Paladin, Most fun tank in 5mans with consecration (no taunt sucks though). Also gotta drink water all the time.
- Druid, As good as warrior for tanking 5mans. Serious lack of available raid-tank gear further on though. Also no life-saving abilities like Last Stand, Shieldwall and cant push crushingblows off the table.
St0rfan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by JCarrill0 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:20 pm

St0rfan wrote:You cant buy TF on Emerald Dream, never could (unless corrupt GM/Admins?), but you know this since you came from there aswell. Warsong on the other hand you can buy pretty much everything.

Sad but true. I love having a 1x server that is legit.
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by smilkovpetko » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:37 pm

St0rfan wrote:- Paladin, Most fun tank in 5mans with consecration (no taunt sucks though). Also gotta drink water all the time.

Yes i drink too much mana here as paladin tank in high end raid :) i like when some sort of knowledge is spreading among people ... You look like JCarroll here . sadly but true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1_YEl0Yp8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovC3fkojlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXV1lqIJr9w

There is your mana drinking all the time :) because i never drink mana during raids as pala tank.

Cheers to Theloras for making his effort to explain them on easy mode.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Theloras » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:20 pm

St0rfan wrote:You cant buy TF on Emerald Dream, never could (unless corrupt GM/Admins?), but you know this since you came from there aswell. Warsong on the other hand you can buy pretty much everything.

I never played on ED, I played on Warsong where everyone and their dog had a Thunderfury...except me of course because I enjoy the challenge!
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanics and classes