Paladin vs priest healing - Vanilla

Share your secret tips about your favorite class here !

Re: Paladin vs priest healing - Vanilla

by Armilus » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:52 pm

Paladins excel at faster, smaller heals. Druids excel with slow big and efficient heals. Priests are the most versatile, they can do fast heals or slower bigger heals but their fast heals are not as efficient as a paladin and their slow big heals are not as big and slow as druid heals.

I honestly don't know why some people think priests are the best raid healers. They are the best at healing their own group but basically on-par with paladins for spamming flash heal all over the raid and on par with druids with dropping HoT's all over the raid. Max rank Flash heal can heal for a lot more than Flash of Light but it also uses way more mana.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by varth » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:25 pm

smilkovpetko wrote:
res wrote:People in this thread are generally right (except smilkov), however there are some guilds who spec their priests into disc for Power Infusion because the current content doesn't really require you to have all the "good talents", this way you can clear content faster by putting Power Infusion on your casters.

Note: This is mostly guild who has everything on farm - where the extra healing does close to nothing but the extra damage makes the raids faster.

Regarding Discipline
(the talent tree is more in favor of disc)
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bxMusVVoZrxxcc0V

The fact that builds (which are in favor of disc) are making you far more superior on "single target" healing makes you best "single target healer" since you benefit lot in mana, mana regen which make you spamming more often your tank .

Regarding Holy
(the talent tree is more in favor of holy)
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bxMhsZcxtcfMqt

The fact that builds (which are in favor of holy) are making you far more superior on "aoe/raid" healing makes you best "aoe/raid" healer , therefore if you spam harder your mana will be gone in few seconds and this makes you weak healer on "single target".

Regarding Restoration Druid

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#0xZZxEcqeqio

The fact that their healing are more likely "Spreading HoTs" therefore lesser effective single target heals makes them best Raid Healers.

Regarding shaman (i will reserve myself from most statements about it) .

The fact that his "chain heals" will most likely benefit Melee/Tank than the Range which spread bit higher (example Ragnaros) . Makes him best "melee healer" , "medium tank healer" and "weaker raid healer".

Regarding Paladin

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sVxurgot
The fact that his 3 major abilities (holy shock,flash of light,Holy light) and it's crit/mana based makes him "Strongest Tank Healer" and most weak "Raid Healer".

people often ignore all words i said about all class and they choose specific point on holy/disc priest... bring them 2 and test them who will more survive on mana 1 target.

(if you deny what i have said , feel free to make yourself own tests on equal geared healers)
p.s - ignore that troll that writing about what i say about paladins , he is putting words in my mouth , i never said paladins best healers . i just said that they are best tank healers.

Dude you are beyond terrible, no priest with half a brain gets lightwell. The beyond standard priest talent build is http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bxRhsV0oZbxtcs0Vx . Please stop giving shit tier advice
varth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Aethelwulf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Best raid healers are Shamans because of Chain Heal and Mana Tide totem.

The best dungeon healers are also Shamans because Heal+Res+Reincarnate makes him a one-man healer with wipe protection. With a Warlock any healer with a rez will do for dungeons. A Paladin can Divine Intervention another healer for wipe protection too if he uses it in time, but he cannot DI himself so he still needs either another healer or a Warlock. Worst dungeon healer is the Druid because he only has a combat rez for just 1 person meaning a Warlock cannot create wipe recovery with a Druid unless the entire party is Druids and Warlocks (at least 1 of each) or the Warlock just has a better healer to soulstone. A Druid and Paladin would create wipe protection though, since they can make the circuitous combo of Paladin using DI on Druid then Druid rezzes Paladin then Paladin rezzes the rest of the party.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by gotmilk0112 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:56 pm

smilkovpetko wrote:Regarding Discipline
(the talent tree is more in favor of disc)
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bxMusVVoZrxxcc0V

The fact that builds (which are in favor of disc) are making you far more superior on "single target" healing makes you best "single target healer" since you benefit lot in mana, mana regen which make you spamming more often your tank .

Regarding Holy
(the talent tree is more in favor of holy)
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bxMhsZcxtcfMqt

The fact that builds (which are in favor of holy) are making you far more superior on "aoe/raid" healing makes you best "aoe/raid" healer , therefore if you spam harder your mana will be gone in few seconds and this makes you weak healer on "single target"..

lol, what the fuck.

Why would you take +10% max mana over +10% healing?

And holy mother of fuck why would you spec Lightwell, it's literally the worst heal in the game. Even worse than Holy Nova. No Healing Focus? Imp PoH and Holy Reach? Good god, have you even played vanilla?

Nobody listen to this idiot. He has no idea what he's talking about.
knotic wrote:wait this is 2015. blizzard didnt do this in 2015. year is non-blizzlike omg omg
gotmilk0112
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Aethelwulf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:46 pm

He also took 1/2 Martyrdom over Silent Resolve.

Back to the topic, Paladins do contribute a lot to a raid through their auras and their blessings and they do make decent healers, they're just not better than priests when it comes to heals. They do have better mana efficiency though. And yes, Paladins spend most of the game being main healer.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Armilus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:42 pm

gotmilk0112 wrote:lol, what the fuck.

Why would you take +10% max mana over +10% healing?

And holy mother of fuck why would you spec Lightwell, it's literally the worst heal in the game. Even worse than Holy Nova. No Healing Focus? Imp PoH and Holy Reach? Good god, have you even played vanilla?

Nobody listen to this idiot. He has no idea what he's talking about.

+10% healing only applies to the base healing of the spell, it doesn't scale with +healing gear. The +10% max mana does scale with +healing gear (because the extra mana is used to cast spells that benefit from +healing) but of course it's only doing something if you are running out of mana. I wouldn't fault anyone for going +10% mana if they are usually on dispell duty.

Lightwell is indeed a piece of shit and healing focus is a requirement for fights like vael. I wouldn't bother with imp PoH or holy reach though. PoH isn't used that often, I find that inner focus is off cooldown every time I need it and holy reach only adds 4 yards to PoH, I don't think it's needed anywhere.

But really, what's important here is that smilkovpetko doesn't know what they are talking about.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Tinkertown » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:04 pm

Armilus wrote:+10% healing only applies to the base healing of the spell, it doesn't scale with +healing gear.

No. You are wrong.

As a whole this thread is so filled with falsehoods and half-truths that no one should read it. Really.

It is true that priests and paladins are different, but trying to label one a tank healer and another a raid healer is silly. It really is. Since in reality their strengths and weaknesses also manifest in how they approach both scenarios.

When tank healing the priest will be worse than the paladin at providing steady healing at a high pace. But will be significantly stronger at getting his hp up once it does get low. Therefor you will in general prefer to have a mix on the tank to shore up the weaknesses. Exact composition should be decided on a fight by fight basis.

Raid healing basically comes down to scaling. If the fight is long enough the better scaling of the paladin will win. If the fight is short enough the stronger base healing of the priest will win. Unless the fight plays to the priests strengths, for example allows PoH or Renew to be used efficiently. Then they win again.
Tinkertown
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Undertanker » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:57 am

Ok again with the cookie cutters, first the light well comment. So lightwell is useless? When you and mellee have to LoS to reset debuffs and could have a well there is useless? When hunters kiting and cand click on one running by is useless? Putting it by the tank and letting him click it before an incoming stun/knockdown where i cant block dodge parry for an extrea hot is useless? He isnt saying 6 priest spec it, just 1.

When would you take 10% mana over base heal? when you do disc and stack mp5 gear, and right before ohshit moments, infuse a raid healer if it is raid damage, infuse a pally if its single damage, infuse mage/lock when burning on vale. Again not saying take 6 disc priest.

So many people get caught up.in most healing power and ignore other abilities and utility, when truth is a lot of the + heal gear adds to your overheals. If you have great mana effeciancey you have less chances for over heals but also cont have fear of oom. Only 3 or 4 should be cookie cutter raw healing power, and only 2 of them.get all +heal gear for best tank renew possible, others cant renew tank cause it is weaker so get mana back gear/talents.

Same with druid, 2 stack healing gear go NS spec others get 10% mana reduction and mp5 gear. Let stacked healing pwer druids HoT tank.

If you all raid cookie cutter, you all miss out.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by res » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Undertanker wrote:Ok again with the cookie cutters, first the light well comment. So lightwell is useless? When you and mellee have to LoS to reset debuffs and could have a well there is useless? When hunters kiting and cand click on one running by is useless? Putting it by the tank and letting him click it before an incoming stun/knockdown where i cant block dodge parry for an extrea hot is useless? He isnt saying 6 priest spec it, just 1.

When would you take 10% mana over base heal? when you do disc and stack mp5 gear, and right before ohshit moments, infuse a raid healer if it is raid damage, infuse a pally if its single damage, infuse mage/lock when burning on vale. Again not saying take 6 disc priest.

I don't see how stacking MP5 is related to 10% bigger mana pool, however if you are stacking int it would make a difference.

Lightwell is bad because ANY DAMAGE removes the heal over time.
res
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Tinkertown » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:56 pm

res wrote:
Undertanker wrote:Ok again with the cookie cutters, first the light well comment. So lightwell is useless? When you and mellee have to LoS to reset debuffs and could have a well there is useless? When hunters kiting and cand click on one running by is useless? Putting it by the tank and letting him click it before an incoming stun/knockdown where i cant block dodge parry for an extrea hot is useless? He isnt saying 6 priest spec it, just 1.

I don't see how stacking MP5 is related to 10% bigger mana pool, however if you are stacking int it would make a difference.

Lightwell is bad because ANY DAMAGE removes the heal over time.

I think that you are Image
Tinkertown
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanics and classes