New 1440p Monitor Problem

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

New 1440p Monitor Problem

by Swiftu » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:16 am

Hi all,

I have just purchased a http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o00_s00 monitor.
I Run:

i5 4670k CPU
EVGA GTX 760 GPU
Samsung 850 pro SSD.

After plugging it in and testing it with steam through CSGO and Dota ect. I booted up the Nost. Although the game would not let me play at all! as soon as I touched the mouse the frames would drop and the screen was flicking all over the place :(. But when you use just the WASD there is no frame drop or anything.

With this being a 10+ year old game i thought the GPU would be fine. my question is should I send this Monitor back and go back to good old 1080p which I have been used to or get a new GPU ect?

Or is the problem due to the game settings?

What monitors are you guys rocking ? I have £300 to spend

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Swiftu
Tester

Re: New 1440p Monitor Problem

by Pokeypointy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:50 pm

I'd delete wdb/wtf folders and try it again.
Viper wrote:Greetings, as stated earlier, transfer won't be possible.
Pokeypointy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by PharstÅr » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:26 pm

Someone said in another post that by opening the retail client which recognizes greater than 1080p resolutions, it somehow forces Classic client to also recognize the higher resolution.
PharstÅr
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Pottu » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:34 pm

Greetings,

PharstÅr is correct. I can only assume that the retail client shares some registry information with the vanilla client and thus setting your resolution in the retail client "magically" makes more modern resolutions available to the vanilla client as well. Since creating a trial account is free and you don't even have to download the full client - just enough that you can get in-game to set the resolution, it's certainly worth trying out. Please respond whether this works for you, as so far it has worked for at least two players.

The GM team.
Pottu
Game Master
Game Master

by Arev » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:58 pm

I don't know if I understand OP's question correctly, but I run Nostalrius @ 4k resolution without any issues, I just select 3840x2160 resolution from the interface options and it works fine, I never required the retail client for this. Playing on linux mint 17.2 with the open source R9 290 GPU drivers.

this is my config.wtf for reference: http://pastebin.com/6p9UNM5S

Does the flicking only happen when you select 1440p or also at 1080p?

I would recommend setting your resolution to 2560 x 1440 from just the config file and then restarting your client. You should be able to run vanilla WoW at resolutions above 1080p without downloading/installling the retail client.
Arevor - <Dankk Budz Collective>
Arev
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by PharstÅr » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Pottu wrote:Greetings,

PharstÅr is correct. I can only assume that the retail client shares some registry information with the vanilla client and thus setting your resolution in the retail client "magically" makes more modern resolutions available to the vanilla client as well. Since creating a trial account is free and you don't even have to download the full client - just enough that you can get in-game to set the resolution, it's certainly worth trying out. Please respond whether this works for you, as so far it has worked for at least two players.

The GM team.

Yes this has worked for me. I didn't even have to finish the Blizz download but opened retail while "playable" and saw the new res and hz, then opened Classic and my ultra wide res and higher refresh appeared in settings. Thanks to Sharax for sharing this. Btw, the new Acer Z35 is absolutley insane. ZERO tearing or stutter and buttery smooth, crystal clear color and contrast (wow!), very nice curve, best stand I ever used (very stable), and just immense in size. 1080p is plenty for WoW by the way...
Great job Nost devs. Thanks so much for this great server!
PharstÅr
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius