PowerPC Mac Help

Game configuration tutorials, addons and macros.

PowerPC Mac Help

by Chiffrobe » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Hello,

I've been trying to get this server to work on my PowerPC G4 Machine. ( ironically the same machine I had when WoW first came out :D )

- I followed the instructions and downloaded the .ZIP file of the Mac game files.
- When I launch the game it says that is is version 1.12.1 and states its PowerPC game client
- I'm able to login and select the realm, but the game will hang on "Retrieving Character List" for about 20 seconds than I get an unexpected quit back to desktop.

- I made sure to check the realmlist file, I also deleted the WTF and WDB, I even moved my WTF folder over from my windows computer ( not sure what that would have done but it didnt work either )

I really grasping at straws here as to why this wouldn't be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chiffrobe
Tester

Re: PowerPC Mac Help

by Diametra » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:37 am

I think it's going to be hard to find relevant information on this. I'm pretty sure PowerPc was supported up until cata. I'm wondering if the problem might not be with system software.

litle tidbit from wiki:

PowerPC-only Tips
A recent thread with posts by Blizzard employee Tigerclaw on the Blizzard Mac Technical Support forum has important things to say about WoW on PowerPC Macs running Tiger or earlier OSes - specifically, that performance will always be limited by the exclusion of certain OpenGL features that are available on Tiger on the Intel-based Macs. Until the release of Leopard (available October 26th, 2007) or OS X 10.4.11 (either of which may or may not include these OpenGL features for the PowerPC), or in lieu of upgrading to an Intel-based Mac, PowerPC users may wish to try the following tweak:

PowerPC OpenGL tweak
G4 users should specifically note the information provided by post 47 on this thread, which highlights that G4 Macs have an insoluble bottleneck limiting graphics card performance.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Diametra » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:48 am

or it could be the general problem many people were having awhile ago.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4537&hilit=retrieving+character
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Chiffrobe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:59 am

Thanks for the reply,

I am running Leopard 10.5.8, its a Powerbook G4 1.5GHZ with 2GB of Ram with a Radeon 9700. It should be able to crush vanilla WoW.

I was able to connect on my PC just fine, but I tried again on my mac and still had the issue. I would think that if the application launches that would mean that my system is compatible? I feel like if its getting stuck at trying to connect to the Nostalrius realm, wouldn't there be some setting or something that's causing that?

Also on that PowerPC OpenGL Tweak - is there a link for that I could try? Maybe it's failing to render my existing character ?
Last edited by Chiffrobe on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chiffrobe
Tester

by Diametra » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:06 am

Nope I couldn't find an active link on the openGL issue. If you are signing on now with no problems, then it had to be the same general problem everyone else was experiencing.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Chiffrobe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:51 am

I can sign on from the same network on my PC, but still having the same issue on my Mac. I mistyped in the above post
Chiffrobe
Tester

by Diametra » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:58 pm

It seems more often than not, it's a server side issue that many people have. You are probably able to sign in by now. It seems to happen after restarts or patches. Suggestions I've read are power cycling (turn everything off and restart) or try signing in and backing out to create a new character/ select new realm...and then backing out again to reselect original realm/ characters.

I was thinking upgrading to 10.7 might bypass the openGL issues.....if that's a free upgrade.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Chiffrobe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks again for the reply.

Unfortunately 10.5.8 is the highest OS Supported by PPC macs. I'm going to try to find an alternate client to download and install, maybe there is some Intel only setting in the link from these forums? The fact that the Application is crashing back to desktop at that point makes me think that.
Chiffrobe
Tester

by Diametra » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:16 pm

I'm no computer expert, but in this thread I made, at the bottom, I posted the link to the mac client I downloaded and use with no problem.

https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2022

hope this is a good alternative.
Diametra
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Chiffrobe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but wine skin doesn't look like it's comparable with 10.5 leopard.
Chiffrobe
Tester

Next

Return to Getting started on Nostalrius