Pointers on tanking large groups

Pointers on tanking large groups

by alexao1111 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi,
I'm a freshly leveled 60 prot warrior and I've come to notice I'm horrible at keeping aggro if I pull a large pack of mobs, for example in strat where you pull packs of 3 elites and 3 normal mobs. I usually go for
pull > thunderclap > defstance > shieldslam on skull and then followed by spamming cleave for the most part. Is this a bad way to go about it? Can someone share their "rotation" per say for large group of mobs in order to keep aggro.

Thank you for any help it's much appreciated.
alexao1111
Private
Private

Re: Pointers on tanking large groups

by Undertanker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5747

See my rotation comments.

If issues persist after this, tell your healer to not buff/ heal on a pull. Warlocks not to pre-DOT everything while pulling. Tell Hunters to not multi shot at beginning.

This should fix your issue.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Steelbash » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:23 am

Undertanker wrote:http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5747

If issues persist after this, tell your healer to not buff/ heal on a pull. Warlocks not to pre-DOT everything while pulling. Tell Hunters to not multi shot at beginning.

yo very helpful post! in your opinion when pulling pack you prefer to directly sunder every mob or use a shout before?

edit: no stancedance , keeping in def stance
Steelbash <Warsong Outriders>
Ginovic <Redlords>
Steelbash
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Scarnavax » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:15 pm

#

in practice what 90% of warlocks/hunters/healers must quit nostlrius because do this everytime and accuse you...

for tank group i use this trick: im specced stance mastery 2/5 so i do this sequence

charge>bloodrage>thnnderclap>go defensive>demo shout> sunder spam ftw.
untill today it worked.
Scarnavax
Grunt
Grunt

by Undertanker » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Steelbash wrote:

yo very helpful post! in your opinion when pulling pack you prefer to directly sunder every mob or use a shout before?

edit: no stancedance , keeping in def stance

Tanking is the most situational thing in this game. So this answer would be.

If you are not stance dancing.

You will want to watch how the mobs are coming to you, are they already bunched tight? Is there 1 close rest trailing? Are some of the ones coming close on pull supposed to of been CC but CCers are slow?

If one is close, Sunder, run through it to get the majority in range of a shout, while also having a cleave queued. (you will have the rage, because after the shout everything will hit you at the same time. Shout again as you go back to tje first thing you sundered, rather than burn all rage on something that will die soon, concus blow and go back to your other adds. Look for anything with lower health than the rest, sinder cleave, then shout cleave. From there do what you want. Taunt any runners when noob dps dont focus fire.

Cleave vs heroic strike, situational. Cleave has slightly mote threat, but is split among two targets. You have to make the call, did other people damage this s good bit before i got aggro? Heroic strike and sunder at the same time. Did my dps give me a moment for the pull to get to me? Cleave and demo, then a normal rotation on what is being targeted by your dps.

Some times even if single target threat is best, what if you were knocked back, or mob is just out of melee running, or you have to reposition to get more mobs in front, these are prime times to use a demo os BS regardless of how many mobs.

Two tips, 1 is obvious - keep enemy HP bars up. This will let you see where the dps is doing there work and allow you to adjust.

Second, use camera positioning while aoe tanking to keep only what you are aoe tanking in your screen (if other packs are close by that tab target could reach). The biggest TPS loss you could have is trying a spam sunder + cleave/heroic strike rotation and you are just standing there because you are cycling through adds on the next two pulls.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Warrior