Threat trinket

Threat trinket

by Vanill » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:05 pm

Greetings

Was wondering if any of you have any info or personal opinions on which trinkets would work best for single target threat in a raidenvironment (trash & bosses, but AoE packs excluded ofc)

In my hypothetical situation I'd like to disregard any defensive influence and focus purely on the threat issue here.

Vanill
Vanill
Private
Private

Re: Threat trinket

by Monga » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Since the tanking trinkets are as good as they are, like styleen 13 def, onyxia trinket 8 def, and force of will 10 def. I'd recommend you dump rings for dps rings, there are some great ones and decent ones out there, like Band of Accuria, Don julio (from av), or just tarnished elven rings.
Monga
Grunt
Grunt

by Vanill » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:42 pm

Once again, only interested in knowing about trinkets. I have Styleens, Ony Trink, etc.. Also all the rings except accuria you mentioned. (which are beside the point, only wondering about trinkets)

The thing is in my current threatset I have a 7k+ healthpool with standard raidbuffs, no consus. I use this for some trash & onyxia etc. While i'd like to keep styleen's in 1 slot I'm looking for a trinket to sit in the other to push some extra threat, every little thing matters.
Vanill
Private
Private

by Youfie » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Vanill wrote:Once again, only interested in knowing about trinkets. I have Styleens, Ony Trink, etc.. Also all the rings except accuria you mentioned. (which are beside the point, only wondering about trinkets)

The thing is in my current threatset I have a 7k+ healthpool with standard raidbuffs, no consus. I use this for some trash & onyxia etc. While i'd like to keep styleen's in 1 slot I'm looking for a trinket to sit in the other to push some extra threat, every little thing matters.

I guess the DFT would help you build threat a bit :).
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by JeeTee » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:59 pm

Drake fang talisman
Rune of the guard captain
Mark of the chosen
Blackhands breadth

Hit chance will be your biggest threat increase until cap.
JeeTee
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Heldunder » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:36 pm

yeah swapping for your dps trinks would be the best option, maybe the 13 fire damage reflect? but that wouldnt do enought damage to make up for the amount of tps youll get from hit%
Heldunder
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Armilus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:06 pm

DFT
Rune of the Guard Captain (if you are horde)
Hand of Justice (Spamming sunder/revenge and using a fast weapon means you'll get a much higher proc rate than DPS warriors)
Blackhands Breadth

In that order. If you are at 5% hit already, then I'd put Hand of Justice or Blackhands Breadth at the top.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Undertanker » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Dark moon card should be on tbis list, procs a lot when tanking with alcorz which in thread its about tps so you would.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Youfie » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:39 pm

Undertanker wrote:Dark moon card should be on tbis list, procs a lot when tanking with alcorz which in thread its about tps so you would.

Darkmoon is a PPM, so it shouldn't proc at all on a fast weapon though.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Armilus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Youfie wrote:
Undertanker wrote:Dark moon card should be on tbis list, procs a lot when tanking with alcorz which in thread its about tps so you would.

Darkmoon is a PPM, so it shouldn't proc at all on a fast weapon though.

UGH... nobody ever understands PPM in vanilla. You are right about one thing and wrong about another..

Let's talk about statistics for a minute.

In statistics an experiment is a SINGLE event with a statistical outcome, aka, there is more than one thing that can happen and there is a percentile probability assigned to each outcome. For example, when you toss a coin there is a 50% chance it will be heads and a 50% chance that it will be tails.

Now, if you ask a question like "If I flip a coin for 1 hour, how many times will I get heads and how many times will it be tails?", statistics can't tell us ANYTHING about the likely out come. Why? Because we have no idea how many times that coin will be tossed. If you toss the coin 1 time in an hour, then you have a 50% chance of getting heads and a 50% chance of getting tails.

What statistics CAN help us with is the following "Bob rolls a 8 sided die 60 times in a minute and Fred rolls a 8 sided die 30 times in a minute. We want both Bob and Fred to roll a '1' 15 times every minute. How many sides of Bob's die should have a 1 and how many sides of Fred's die should have a 1 in order to maximize the chance that both will roll 15 '1's"?

The answer is simple. Fred is rolling his die 30 times and we want it to be '1' 15 times, so if we make have the face on his die a '1', then on average he will get about 15 results of '1' per minute. Since Bob is rolling his die twice as many times, we can just reduce the number of '1' faces on his die by half.

This is exactly how PPM works in vanilla. The chance for the proc to occur on any individual swing is adjusted so that all weapons will ON AVERAGE get the same number of procs per minute. That means that one minute you might have 0 procs and the next you might get a proc on EVERY swing. But if you go for 1,000,000 minutes and divide the number of procs by the number of minutes, you will get about the same value for all weapons.

In this respect, Youfie is wrong. The speed of the weapon has no bearing on how many procs you will get in a minute.

Now, going back to our dice example, what happens if Fred and Bob start cheating and both roll their die 100 times per minute? The way blizzard answered this question in TBC was "We won't let them". BUT, in vanilla they had a different answer and it was "Whatever, we don't care".

So, what does this mean? It means that if you use instant weapon attacks you are increasing the number of times that you attack per minute. You still have the same number of auto attacks in a minute and on your auto attacks you will average the same number of procs per minute as someone with a slower weapon on their auto attacks BUT your additional attacks from sunder armor and revenge use the same proc CHANCE as the auto attacks.

So if Bob has a 25% chance to get a '1' on his die and Fred has a 50% chance to get a '1' on his, then both start rolling 100 times per minute. Bob will still average 15 '1's on his first 60 rolls and Fred will still average 15 '1's on his first 30 rolls but in total, Bob will average 25 '1's on his 100 rolls and Fred will average 50 '1's on his 100 rolls.

If you are trying to maximize the number of procs in a minute by spamming instant attack abilities, then a slower weapon will get a lot more procs per minute because the chance to proc per attack is higher in order to compensate for getting less auto attacks and both slow and fast weapons have the same number of special attacks per minute.

So... yea, a slower weapon will give you more procs per minute than a fast weapon BUT the statement that "it shouldn't proc at all on a fast weapon" is totally false. You will get the same number of procs per minute on your auto attacks and ~30% less procs from abilities compared to a 1.9 speed weapon. So the difference really isn't that huge.

ANYWAY... the point is, yes it is a good trinket for threat.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Warrior