AoE Tanking: What's the rotation?

AoE Tanking: What's the rotation?

by itwasfree » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:17 pm

I was struggle-busing last night trying to establish aggro on 5+ mobs.

Cleave only hits 2 at a time and consumes an auto.
Thunderclap does pitiful damage/threat.

My only tactic was to ask the dps to wait until I had sundered everything.
itwasfree
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: AoE Tanking: What's the rotation?

by Krowal » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:49 pm

tab spam cleave + demo shout, switch for whirlwind, get some aoe tanking items. On the main target (skull) you should open with a shield slam so they can kill it, taunt when necessary and to the rotation I mentioned above.
Draakha
Krowal
Grunt
Grunt

by Vanill » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:17 am

Naaah, spam demo shout is a loss. 1 Demo shout in beginning to be sure you're on their threat tables would be all you need.

For 2-5 mobs just Cleave + normal rotation (Revenge, SS, SA etc). Getting some thorns dmg helps keep initial aggro over first heals. Also charge in + tc helps for initial aggro. Marking and hoping dps follows marks kill order can help aswell if you're struggling but slows down the run. In some situations if DPS is good enough you can also choose not to tank the first target.

For bigger amounts of mobs that all come at once use Tab Cleave + Battle shout. Also handy to have consus in some cases, for example holy waters on UD packs.
Vanill
Private
Private

by Broksigar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:33 am

Charge in+TC - Tab Cleave or Demo - Tab Cleave.That work perfect for me and i have 0 prob with aoe tanking.You just need to be at different target for each cleave hit :)

Gl and HF tanking :)
The Ultimate OT :D
Broksigar
Tester

by Theloras » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 am

--Snip--
Last edited by Leythia on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by smilkovpetko » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:14 am

--Snip--
Last edited by Leythia on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Whiskra » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:18 am

smilkovpetko wrote:
Theloras wrote:
itwasfree wrote:I was struggle-busing last night trying to establish aggro on 5+ mobs.

Cleave only hits 2 at a time and consumes an auto.
Thunderclap does pitiful damage/threat.

My only tactic was to ask the dps to wait until I had sundered everything.

Get a Paladin to do it for you...

^ Keep quiet and AOE Tank like a Boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5taND1xbw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPeUCinVckA

Without any specific items and Protection Gear only as Prot.

For the few places in raids where a paladin tank is very convenient, he might as well stay holy and put on some plate and a shield and he can do the job of a "real" paladin tank just as effectively, and still be useful for the rest of the raid when his tanking skills are practically useless.
Whiskra
Grunt
Grunt

by Theloras » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:23 am

^^^ lolumad ^^^
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Imbaslap » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:48 am

engineering helps a ton for warriors with grenades and if you have the money, get a force reactive disk.

also start looking at oils of immolation, anything that deals thorns based damage when you're hit (like the items from un'goro crystal force) these all stack up and help. also look at a shield spike as well if you're still struggling for money or certain gear.

as for actually target swapping. try and get used to nameplates for target swapping with cleave and sunder.

all of the above without FRD should do it pretty much for a long time. any blessing of sanct pally, druid thorns, retri aura in the party will help.

if dps unload before you touch the mob, that's mostly dps's fault.
if you're having issues getting rage, start swapping tank gear for dps gear in dungeons to do more damage and threat. it's no 1 trick pony, but you will need to utilize that method in later raids as well. every warrior tank needs to learn how to aoe tank. if this is for dungeons, start having a set in your bags specifically for that. (drillborer disk with shield spike and such).

I'm not sure if battleshout/demoshout spamming was retail like on Nost, but I do remember battleshout gave a ton of threat back then.
Imbaheals
<Blacklisted Raid Leader>
Local Horde Kidnapper of Tarren Mill.
Rift Allstar Cleric 2011-2013
World 1st and 2nds with guilds Addiction/Blackout/Babytown/Trinity.
https://www.youtube.com/user/imbaslap/videos
Imbaslap
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Next

Return to Warrior