Stealth: Shadowmeld & Master of Deception

Stealth: Shadowmeld & Master of Deception

by Kazarak » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Shadowmeld: +1 stealth level

Master of Deception: Reduces the chance enemies have to detect you while in Stealth mode.

How does the effectiveness of these two skills/talents compare to each other? Is SM the equivalent to 2 or 3 ranks of MoD, or are their mechanics totally different?

Are either of these that noticeable in PvP or PvE?
Owning noobs since 1977
Kazarak
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Stealth: Shadowmeld & Master of Deception

by Kazarak » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:55 pm

I did some research on this last night. From what I gather, every 5 points of stealth level is equal to one character level. In other words, you raise your stealth level by 5 points every character level.

Each rank of Master of Deception adds 3 points to your stealth level. So max rank of +15 points to your stealth level is equal to 3 character levels higher than your actual character level.

No one really knows exactly how much stealth level you get from Shadowmeld, but it's generally agreed to be between 3 and 5 points.

FYI, the Human racial skill Perception adds +50 stealth detection for 20 seconds. Basically, they can see through stealth as if they were 10 character levels higher than they actually are.
Owning noobs since 1977
Kazarak
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Kazarak » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Does anyone use Master of Deception - coupled or not with Shadowmeld? Considering that you won't get spotted while you're behind your target anyway, how effective is it actually?
Owning noobs since 1977
Kazarak
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Youfie » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Kazarak wrote:Does anyone use Master of Deception - coupled or not with Shadowmeld? Considering that you won't get spotted while you're behind your target anyway, how effective is it actually?

This old french website did some in-game tests back on retail and it seems Shadowmeld is +5 points. Which means it's worth 5/6 of 2 MoD points. There's also a nice recap of Stealth bonuses, even if you don't speak french you should guess most of it. The three columns on the right are with Paranoia / Hunter Aspect.

So stacking MoD + Shadowmeld is only useful if you want to fight player higher than you, or for when you're facing Humans with Perception / Locks with Paranoia, Rogues with the Hightened Senses & shit.

So it's nice to save 1-2 points in MoD, or just have the edge against other Rogues in 1v1, basically.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Kazarak » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:35 pm

Thanks for the reply! This is about what I was thinking but it's good to get confirmation.

I'm considering rerolling my Night Elf as a Human or Gnome for a more offensive oriented Rogue.
Owning noobs since 1977
Kazarak
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Return to Rogue