Levelling first rogue

Levelling first rogue

by Basili » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:47 pm

I'm going to be levelling my first rogue when it's time on Nostalrius. Any advice on levelling swords or daggers? Also, any extra tips and tricks would be great!

Thanks
Basili
Private
Private

Re: Levelling first rogue

by bishop » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:55 pm

Daggers only get the full potential, when you attack from behind with backstab or ambush. Since the mobs stand most of the time infront of you, daggers get kinda inefficient. You should level with swords or maces til 60. Also the combat tree is the way to go for efficient leveling as a rogue.

This talents i would choose for leveling, starting with the combat tree:

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_4_8025320105h2305501d50150231r
Nejtiri 19 Hunter
Ghul 29 Rogue
Cassilda 29 Priest
Cassi 29 Shaman
Leaf 39 Resto Druid
bishop
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Drain » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Combat. The other trees cannot compete with the frontal defense/damage of this tree. This is the mob slayer tree. Ambush is largely ineffective vs mobs due to their armor values, and Backstab is basically worthless. If you really want to use a dagger, then respec into Hemo at 30. Hemo gives dagger a frontal strike.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Basili » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:13 pm

Great, thanks for the replies from both of you. Swords it is!
Basili
Private
Private

by Youfie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Drain wrote:If you really want to use a dagger, then respec into Hemo at 30

Anything is better than Hemorrhage with a dagger, really. If he wants to be Dagger, then any regular BS/Ambush Assassination or Sub build will be more effective than using Hemo with a Dagger.

I agree 100% about Combat Swords / Maces / Fists (depending on what weapons you manage to get, i.e. mostly swords) is the way to go to level :).
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Imbaslap » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:23 am

as soon as you hit level 10 and gain ability to learn swords, do it. dual wielding swords and going combat will speed things up at the start. once you get poisons, it will go a bit faster too.
Imbaheals
<Blacklisted Raid Leader>
Local Horde Kidnapper of Tarren Mill.
Rift Allstar Cleric 2011-2013
World 1st and 2nds with guilds Addiction/Blackout/Babytown/Trinity.
https://www.youtube.com/user/imbaslap/videos
Imbaslap
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Thrashing » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Like people already stated, Combat Swords is the way to go. I agree with the spec Bishop already linked. The first few specs in Assassination often seem tempting to pic, but ultimately there's simply not as good as the options you have in Combat. Like stated before, just fill out Combat first, then spec into Assassination afterwards.
For example, at lvl 30 you'd be specced into the following:
http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=1121 ... 2305501d5y

Until level 30+ when you start actually speccing into Swords, you can obviously use any decent weapons you come across regardless of weapon class, since you wouldn't get the extra Sword spec bonus anyway.
However afterwards, there's a couple of weapons (from quests) you really do not want to miss out on:

Horde - Sword of Omen lvl 33 required, lvl ~37 recommended.
Alliance - Sword of Serenity lvl 33 required, lvl ~37 recommended.
Both factions - Vanquisher's Sword lvl 37 required.
Both factions - Thrash Blade lvl 45 required.
Thrashing
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Carnax » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:04 pm

Daggers work fine for leveling. You use gouge, get behind your target, and backstab. Or you use kidney shot to stun your target, get behind and backstab.

All you need is timing. Make sure you perform your gouge or kidney shot when your energy will tick to 60 or above before the effect expires.

EDIT: I forget Blind, you can also use it to position yourself for a backstab. Many ways to use backstab and it works very well.
Carnax
Private
Private

by Gelbin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:28 pm

Carnax wrote:Daggers work fine for leveling. You use gouge, get behind your target, and backstab. Or you use kidney shot to stun your target, get behind and backstab.

All you need is timing. Make sure you perform your gouge or kidney shot when your energy will tick to 60 or above before the effect expires.

EDIT: I forget Blind, you can also use it to position yourself for a backstab. Many ways to use backstab and it works very well.

I agree. I leveled a rogue to 60 in vanilla this way. Killing mobs goes very fast if you use dagger the right way. Also, being able to one hit slightly lower targets / clothies is so much fun :-)
"I won't stand for that!" - Gelbin Mekkatorque
Gelbin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Carnax » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:15 am

Gelbin wrote:I agree. I leveled a rogue to 60 in vanilla this way. Killing mobs goes very fast if you use dagger the right way. Also, being able to one hit slightly lower targets / clothies is so much fun :-)

Yes, this is very much fun!

With improved Ambush, you will score a critical at a very high rate. The rotation for leveling with daggers is ambush, gouge, backstab, eviscerate. If you manage a critical on two of the attacks, you will kill a mob your own level usually with just this simple rotation while taking little to no damage in return.

In my opinion, rogues were made to use daggers. I find skilled players almost always prefer daggers. If you're a mouse-clicker you're probably better off facing up your target and using swords.
Carnax
Private
Private

Next

Return to Rogue