How good is Dwarf +5 gun?

How good is Dwarf +5 gun?

by TinyToes » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:49 am

Hi all, I am leveling a Dwarf hunter (Treasure find racial <3) and was curious how good the racial is for guns. What does it add and say i had a gun with 1.5-2 dps lower then a bow would the racial make up the difference? I am level 19 and figured I would ask. Thanks very much!
TinyToes

Ps. What does disengage actually do? I am confused by the player exits combat mode. Thx
TinyToes
Tester

Re: How good is Dwarf +5 gun?

by Henke » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:19 am

It means you have lower chance of missing shots. At 60 this leads to needing less +hit from gear to be hit capped when using a gun. There are few viable guns in vanilla raiding so it's a pretty insignificant racial.

Disengage lowers your threat. Exiting combat mode just means it does the same as pressing escape.
Henke
Grunt
Grunt

by chunass » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:36 am

While weapon skill makes a huge difference for melee classes, it does almost nothing for hunters since we never get glancing blows. You get a bit of hit as Henke said, but that's about it. This means you don't want to prioritize guns over bows/crossbows.
Chunass - 60 Night Elf Hunter
Chew - 60 Human Warrior
<Molten Core Swimteam>
chunass
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Sham » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:23 am

Dwarf still the best race since stone form is awesome vs rogues
Hunter Insanitty (29 twink)
Warrior Insannity (29 twink)
Warlock Inssanity (29 twink)
Priest Darksanity (29 twink)
<Amost Thirty> guild
Sham
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Chig » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:28 pm

Trough this paper http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_skill
5 gun skill equals 3% hit (w/o another gun skill items) vs raid bosses.

Does it work correctly @ Nost?
Chig
Tester

by TinyToes » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I am having a blast leveling my hunter with upgraded weapons every few levels from the AH. I found guns and the special gun ammo from the desolace quest make for fun in mid 20's. Best blue gun + the ammo = Big Aim Shots.
TinyToes
Tester

by Drain » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:15 am

With a +5 skill bonus, you only need 8% to hit cap specials. Everyone else will need 9%. These values are the same for all physical damage except on dual wield auto attacks. I typed in a different thread about that situation in the Rogue section. But on ranged, +skill means more hits/crits, and basically nothing else. Enemies can only block from the front, cannot parry ranged at all, and there are no glancing blows for ranged either. Once hit capped, there are no other penalties (behind the target). Your shoot table will simply be full of hits top to bottom, all which can all be turned into more crits. The irrelevance of ranged weapon skill in this game is probably why it's not on any Hunter equipment. The sets also lack the 8-9 hit you need, but they took into account that pretty much everyone will slot Surefooted, ZG enchants, or other slots to get the rest. It's incredibly easy to hit cap and has no real sacrifices in max dps to do so, even with no skill bonus.

Now the problem with Dwarf is that there's almost no decent guns after 60. Pretty much everything is a bow or crossbow. You may as well "not" roll Dwarf because of this, which is why most Alliance are Night Elf. I found 2, one is in AQ, the other is R14(GL getting that). All the rest I see searching around are bow or crossbow... No idea why the Hunter epic quest on Alliance didn't just give a gun instead, since Alliance can only get gun skill on Hunter, not bow skill. They decided to gift trolls, and fuck everyone else. Failing that, they could have given everyone a CHOICE. Personally, I would have loved a gun instead, practically any gun model, over of this retarded looking Elf nature twig stick. I hope I can shoot a BWL crossbow or the AQ gun one day...

"5 gun skill equals 3% hit (w/o another gun skill items) vs raid bosses."
Not true. The skill bonus does not even give a whole 1%. Also, your miss chance is actually in the decimal between 8 and 9, so 9% is an excess. Having the skill bonus means that you can free up another slot of gear for something else and still never get misses. Without the skill bonus, you have to choose between 8%(not enough) and 9%(too much). Like most people, I go for the "too much", as I don't want a miss, EVER, no matter how low a that chance is. Not going to gamble on missing something like Scatter Shot. Misses can eat my dick.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Cornholi » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:47 am

5 gun skill equals 3% hit is true.

Source: Never missed against bosses with 6% hit using Flawless Arcanite Rifle.
Cornholi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by masu » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:52 pm

It shouldn't give 3% hit though.
Last edited by masu on Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
masu
Private
Private

by Azgabast » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:02 pm

Na, it really is +3 hit. The hit formula changes if the difference between boss defense and your weapon skill is greater than 10, according to the above website, http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_skill. This applies to melee weps as well, although you want +10 skill to reduce the glancing blow penalty to 0 (although you still don't crit).

Basically, this lets gun using dwarves to use +7 damage scope instead of 3 hit, although ultimately with naxx gear you won't need the hit scope at all.
'Perhaps you should find your own answers.'
Azgabast
Private
Private

Next

Return to Hunter