Holy Priest BiS

Re: Holy Priest BiS

by res » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:47 pm

gotmilk0112 wrote:I'm kinda starting to doubt this whole "+heal is best stat" thing, at least when it comes to green "Of Healing" gear that has no int on it.
Or am I just a retard and missing something?

In a 15 minutes of healing - MP5 and Spirit (With T2 3 set bonus) are both more valuable than Healing
and in a 2 minutes of healing - MP5, INT and Spirit (With T2 3set bonus) are all more valuable than healing.

Nowhere does the list say that healing is the best stat, the reason why +healing items are so high up on the list is because blizzard was very liberal with giving out a bunch of healing on an item, not so much with other stats.

So items with a lot of +healing generally have more +healing than items with a lot of spirit/ int would have int/spirit.
For example Cauterizing band has 46 +healing and 12 int while Band of sulfuras has 23 int and 10 spirit. As you can see there's generally a bunch of the healing stat on items compared to other stats on other items.

Edit: Maybe This wasn't what you were asking, the reason why +healing is a useful stat is because if you have enough you can use a lower rank spell and heal for the same amount as a higher rank spell, which will save you mana.
res
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by gotmilk0112 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:36 pm

res wrote:the reason why +healing is a useful stat is because if you have enough you can use a lower rank spell and heal for the same amount as a higher rank spell, which will save you mana.

Yeah, I know why bonus heal is good.

I'm comparing int/spirit items with "Of Healing" greens. It doesn't really seem like the bonus healing from "Of Healing" green outweighs the Int on regular gear.
knotic wrote:wait this is 2015. blizzard didnt do this in 2015. year is non-blizzlike omg omg
gotmilk0112
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by res » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:40 pm

gotmilk0112 wrote:
res wrote:the reason why +healing is a useful stat is because if you have enough you can use a lower rank spell and heal for the same amount as a higher rank spell, which will save you mana.

Yeah, I know why bonus heal is good.

I'm comparing int/spirit items with "Of Healing" greens. It doesn't really seem like the bonus healing from "Of Healing" green outweighs the Int on regular gear.

The way I calculated healing is how much mana you save by using heal rank 1 with 600 +healing over heal rank 3 with 0 +healing.

If you cast it constantly for 2 minutes you save 6.8 mana per +healing this way - which is
0.4533 of the mana portion of INT, this is reflected in the 2minute list where INT is valued more than 2 times higher than healing.

If you do this for 15 minutes however you save 51 mana per +healing which means 1 +healing is worth 3.4 times more than the mana portion of INT, which is why +healing is valued a lot higher than INT on the 15 min list.

I realise that this is in no way perfect, it's actually quite flawed since it only takes into account one downraking scenario, if anyone has a suggestion for how I could value it differently I'd like to know!
res
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by PriestInOurTime » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:48 pm

I guess we could do with some data.

I do wish that raidstats would provide the actual logs of the fights so that spells cast and FSR% could be obtained for progression kills. That would be most interesting for a list like this.
Pristine realms... Industrial levels of stupidity.
PriestInOurTime
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by gotmilk0112 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:25 pm

res wrote:If you do this for 15 minutes however

But...nobody is going to be casting for 15 minutes straight in any situation. Hell, to even cast that long without OOMing, you'd need to be spamming R3 Lesser Heal or something, and chugging potions, or have absurd amounts of mp5.

I think the "2 minute" would be a lot more accurate, seeing as most raid fights (at least in T1) are only 2-3 minutes, and most 5man bosses only last a minute or so.

+Heal is a great stat, but I wouldn't drop lots of int/spirit in favor of it.
knotic wrote:wait this is 2015. blizzard didnt do this in 2015. year is non-blizzlike omg omg
gotmilk0112
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by res » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:40 am

gotmilk0112 wrote:
res wrote:If you do this for 15 minutes however

But...nobody is going to be casting for 15 minutes straight in any situation. Hell, to even cast that long without OOMing, you'd need to be spamming R3 Lesser Heal or something, and chugging potions, or have absurd amounts of mp5.

I think the "2 minute" would be a lot more accurate, seeing as most raid fights (at least in T1) are only 2-3 minutes, and most 5man bosses only last a minute or so.

+Heal is a great stat, but I wouldn't drop lots of int/spirit in favor of it.

I don't see the problem - There is a 2 minute tab where all the values are based on a 2 minute fight.
(I added it for people just like you who wanted a more boss-fight oriented list!)
all you have to do is click this button:

The 15 minute example is just to show that healing, MP5 and spirit keep getting better and better the longer the fight is - trending towards infinity, while intellect will always just be 15 mana (and a small portion of crit which does scale with healing). Maybe some kind of graph would explain it better.

2 Min list - an estimate of item values for short boss fights
15 min List - an estimate of item values for general healing duties (trash/dungeons etc.)

Or am I missing your point entirely?
res
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by gotmilk0112 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:49 am

I'm just saying that I find it strange that you'd make a BIS list for fight lengths that don't exist. Yeah, it's pretty common knowledge that longevity stats are better the longer the fight is.

And yes, I saw the "2 minute" tab.
gotmilk0112
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by varth » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Generally especially in this content, it makes a run go faster if you follow the 15 minute list. Most of the better guilds don't really let you drink very often so having more mana regen and healing efficiency is far better than int.
varth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by PriestInOurTime » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:37 am

varth wrote:Generally especially in this content, it makes a run go faster if you follow the 15 minute list. Most of the better guilds don't really let you drink very often so having more mana regen and healing efficiency is far better than int.

Farm runs go even faster if you have more spellpower instead of just pure healing. Since it allows you to smite more during packs/bosses that do not need the full healing team.

To account for this we should value +spelpower higher than +healing in the BiS list, yes?

On a more serious note. It shouldn't matter, in the context of a BiS list sticky, what is best in a situation where things are so easy that you don't bother to prepare for fights. In those situations you could spec shadow, put on your pirate hat and still win comfortably. It makes sense for a BiS list to focus on how to gear to actually beat encounters during progression.
Pristine realms... Industrial levels of stupidity.
PriestInOurTime
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Healyheals » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:12 pm

Awesome thread I love the discussion on different stat values, I'm learning a lot!

Question though - I didn't see anyone mention the Meditation talent in Discipline. It's similar to the T2 3piece bonus. Allows 15% of mana regen to continue while casting. So, with that talent, more spirit converts into more MP5. Is this included in calculations? If not, can we get a column for it or something?
Healyheals
Private
Private

PreviousNext

Return to Priest