Shadow Priest DPS and Gear Spreadsheet

Re: Shadow Priest DPS and Gear Spreadsheet

by Syphonize » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:01 am

Praxxia wrote:With Spell Pen listed as being so high in value, wouldn't Don Rodrigo's Band (AV Exalted) we worth ~99?

Also I'm curious about how the Mara epic dagger (Blade of Eternal Darkness) stacks up. Most wowhead comments list it as being a 10% proc chance. Math is not my strong suite but wouldn't that be 15-20mp5 for Spriest? And then the 100 dmg proc would be affected by things such as CoS, Shadow Weaving and Nightfall.

Mara dagger sadly has no proc here unless that changed fairly recently :(

Be careful about the spell pen value. Different bosses have different amounts of shadow resistance so Don Rodrigo's Band could contribute to no DPS on some bosses. I am yet to find a source that is confirmed to be 100% accurate when it comes to boss resistances.

http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=15951.0

That is the source I used, but I've been told that this is incorrect here. Until I have a better source I've just left those values there.
Syphonize
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Bezawit » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:21 pm

I love your spreadsheet <3 That said I'm running into this big question:

Is it better to stack spellpower and only cast Mind Blast when you have excess mana?

-or-

Is it better to stack regen (int/spi/mp5/tier2 set bonus) and try to sustain casting Mind Blast on cooldown? The big driving point of this question is technically (according to the spreadsheet), you gain a fairly substantial dps increase by wearing 3pieces of tier2 for the set bonus.

Would it be possible to model the dps difference of these two different ways of gearing + dmg breakdowns? I think that is my biggest issue with the spreadsheet atm is it only allows Mind Blast on cooldown or no Mind Blast at all. Setting Mind Blast on cooldown *seems* to inflate the value of things like int/mp5/spi, when there might be a better middle ground.

Anyways sorry for the rambling, would love to hear everyone's opinions!
Bezawit
Grunt
Grunt

by Syphonize » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Definitely a good point. The values of INT/Spirit/MP5 is inflated on the spreadsheet because the rotation being used is very static. If you were to change your rotation around based on how much mana you have, those values would drop. Unfortunately, remaking how rotations are done is a massive task, one that I cannot do currently, because it involves rewriting the entire rotation portion. If you look at the first page, one of the things I wanted to do eventually is to have a dynamic rotation system where you can do a lot more than simply select the spells you wish to use.

In general, the rule of thumb is to consider the values of INT/spirit/MP5 carefully. When the difference is minor, always go with more spellpower. Only consider INT/spirit/MP5 as the difference maker when the difference is massive. Always remember that no spreadsheet can reproduce human mana management. :D
Syphonize
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Lardin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:28 am

nice spreadsheet. been playing around with it/replacing/adding gear for a while now and i wonder how you came up with the DM:BD trinket value.

at it is bugged (rip 500g) and doesnt proc of any instants at all... ever. so not on ticks or casts of sw:p. somebody told me it was bugged and proc off ticks. nada! so as i see it it is basically garbage.

and yeah i am also struggling with the entire mp5 vs pure +dmg thing. i dont see how one could possibly make use of imp mindblast.
保卫马厩 贸易胜 赚美元
DEFEND STABRU TRADE WINS EARN DORRARS
Lardin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Syphonize » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:42 am

Lardin wrote:nice spreadsheet. been playing around with it/replacing/adding gear for a while now and i wonder how you came up with the DM:BD trinket value.

at it is bugged (rip 500g) and doesnt proc of any instants at all... ever. so not on ticks or casts of sw:p. somebody told me it was bugged and proc off ticks. nada! so as i see it it is basically garbage.

and yeah i am also struggling with the entire mp5 vs pure +dmg thing. i dont see how one could possibly make use of imp mindblast.

I had implemented DM:BD on the spreadsheet before it was put on this server and I used the original proc rates and behavior from retail. I understand that it is quite bugged on this server, however. That being said I don't think the value changes too heavily assuming it can still proc off both Mind Blast and Mind Flay. It is heavily RNG reliant and therefore not to be depended on.

http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1452&start=70#p135164 - rough idea of how the math is being done on DM:BD.

If somebody can conclusively tell me exactly what it procs off of and what it does not, I could fix it for this server, but I've always heard differing accounts.
Syphonize
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Lardin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:23 am

i can confirm that it does not work with sw:p. unfortunately i am disc at the moment and cannot make any statements regarding mindflay. should work on mb but that doesn't really help us
保卫马厩 贸易胜 赚美元
DEFEND STABRU TRADE WINS EARN DORRARS
Lardin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Previous

Return to Priest