Leveled as shadow, when should I respec to Disc/Holy?

Leveled as shadow, when should I respec to Disc/Holy?

by kennylannister » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:08 pm

I'm lv 55 right now, almost 56.. I'm just wondering when should I respec to start getting healing gear? I read somewhere that you should respec at around 58 and just do dungeons like BRD, Scholo etc. to 60? Is this a good idea or should I respec earlier?

Thanks!
kennylannister
Tester

Re: Leveled as shadow, when should I respec to Disc/Holy?

by imabaer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:44 pm

There's not really a "wrong" answer to this question. That being said, you are going to be dependent on finding groups for instances once you do respec, which can occasionally get frustrating if you're trying to hit 60 sooner than later. There's also nothing wrong with running these instances after you hit 60. In fact, you'll probably end up running instances after you hit 60 anyway.

Benefits of respeccing earlier:
-More practice healing, if you need it
-Killing two birds with one stone: you'll get to level while possibly getting items you'll need to raid.
-Meeting people while running instances can sometimes lead to invites to guilds/raids, if you're decent.

Benefits of staying shadow later:
-Can just grind out levels if you're having problems finding a group to run an instance with
-Can still heal instances; you and the group will just have a lot less margin for error
-Access to quest rewards that would be annoying to get as a heal spec
imabaer
Private
Private

by Garfunkel » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:16 pm

There is no golden answer.

You can heal up to BRD as Shadow - probably LBRS/Scholo/Strat too if you have potions and know what you're doing. On the other hand, I did the whole level up as disc/holy and didn't have issues solo-questing either though obviously it was slower than if I had been shadow.

So I say wait until you're 60, then switch to Disc/Holy heal build and grind instances for your gear for raiding if that's your intention. Nothing prevents you from getting healing gear before though and doing all instance quests and AV quests will net you a lot of XP too if you decide to switch earlier.
FInd me on: Laureliana - Lauraliana - Lauroliana - Lauruliana - Lauriliana
NELF POWER!
Garfunkel
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by gotmilk0112 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:53 am

As someone who leveled a Priest here recently, stay shadow until 60, just quest or run dungeons as shadow (if people will even bring ya, Spriest isn't too good in group PvE content). Respec to the standard 5man healing spec at 60 and start running BRD / DM East until you've got some gear, then progress to DM West and Stratholme, and finally DM North/Scholomance once you've got a good amount of healing gear. At lower gear levels, you'll also want a few stacks of potions just in case. (though really you should always be carrying mana pots no matter what)

You'll probably be able to heal the first half of BRD as shadow without problem, for the quests like Jailbreak and such, but you definitely need to be in a healing spec for anything past 7 dwarves, unless your tank is really well geared.
knotic wrote:wait this is 2015. blizzard didnt do this in 2015. year is non-blizzlike omg omg
gotmilk0112
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Ana » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:58 am

You can safely respec at 59 if you have some solid quest chains to carry you to 60 (Onyxia attunement, Fordring, Hydraxis, rescuing princess in BRD etc.) Solo grind is extremely painful in raid spec, but you can easily start farming dungeons for gear at 59, and the extra quests, which you have to do anyway, will get you the remaining exp.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Imwithstuped » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:02 pm

Stay shadow and level on satyrs for a couple of levels.

Benefits :

You will get Demonic runes, You will need theese as both shadow and disc/holy
You will get alot of felcloth/runecloth that you can use for your tailoring
You will get alot of greens that you can DE for endgame enchants.
Imwithstuped
Grunt
Grunt

by imabaer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:51 pm

Imwithstuped wrote:Stay shadow and level on satyrs for a couple of levels.

Benefits :

This is also a very good option, and though it seems tedious, the last couple levels of grinding as shadow are really the best time to do it. Get your raid farming in early, while you're still specced for it.
imabaer
Private
Private

by Imwithstuped » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:33 am

imabaer wrote:This is also a very good option, and though it seems tedious, the last couple levels of grinding as shadow are really the best time to do it. Get your raid farming in early, while you're still specced for it.

Was pretty much what you suggested earlyer, just had to mention the satyrs since I find myself respeccing to shadow due to DM E farming being too boring :) (And buying Dark Runes for like 3-4g /e)
Imwithstuped
Grunt
Grunt

by flowison » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:50 am

Imwithstuped wrote:Stay shadow and level on satyrs for a couple of levels.

Benefits :

where do i find these satyrs?
flowison
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Return to Priest