Alliance locks chime in please

Alliance locks chime in please

by Pilgrim » Sun May 24, 2015 10:22 am

Specifically higher level ones who have seen some wpvp. How rough is it going against undeads? I know there are a ton of them. I want to play a human lock but feel like in the long run it could suck in pvp when undeads are lol wotf all over the place. Does stealth detection against the many rogues make up for it? I try to not worry about racials too much but if its something like this I feel like on a pvp server it bears consideration.
Pilgrim
Tester

Re: Alliance locks chime in please

by nervous » Sun May 24, 2015 7:49 pm

Use a succubus 24/7 and you can beat them in trading cooldowns.
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Numi » Tue May 26, 2015 1:54 am

The fear immune is rarely that much of an issue, its far from game breaking, magic dispell is also pretty common so no different for horde locks.
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Lompcent » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:57 pm

Numi wrote:The fear immune is rarely that much of an issue, its far from game breaking, magic dispell is also pretty common so no different for horde locks.

well i heard alot about using the succubus, thing is when you level you ussually dont have it out unless you are looking for pvp, and besides they often engage you first if you try to level. at that point you cant do much. but yeah deathcoil helps alot more than jsut desperately trying to cast fear, and getting stunned, dispelled everytime
Lompcent
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Bioness » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:10 pm

My Death Coil laughs at their fear immunity.

Although yes the Succubus is the best option, I personally have found the Voidwalker useful, nothing pisses off melee more than a 2k shield that they need to get through. It would also be best if you were part Affliction for Siphon Life and a buffed Curse of Agony. The longer the fight lasts the better your chances as your DoTs wear away at their health. Another good tip is to make sure you have an available hearthstone and a soulstone on as often as possible. As a warlock if you are alone and haven't died recently, yet you don't have a soulstone on yourself, you are doing it wrong.

So while Will of the Forsaken is annoying at times, there are ways around it.
Bioness
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by sascha1es » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Doesnt really play any role in 1v1 pvp later in my opinion.
Good Tip if you want to fear an undead is to cast fear at the beginning of the fight, let them use their WotF, then Deathcoil and Fear again after their 5 seconds passed. But of the undead I only fear Mages and Priests usually. Before I fear mages I silence them with my Felhunter because when they see you cast Fear, they will try to inturrupt that and stop you from casting any Shadow spells for quiet a while.

If you don't want to have any problems running around in the open world and want to do a lot of pvp I highly recommend to skill 20/31/0 for Soullink and Nightfall. You will feel like a tank. When I'm not in a raid I always wear my pvp gear which gives me 4500hp unbuffed (no epics yet). Now consider that with Soul Link you take 30% less damage and you'll have an improved Healthstone for 1440hp. So to kill me enemies have to deal at least 7300 damage.
The very basic "strategy" is to just cast Corruption, CoA and Immolate on them and then drain life nonstop. Gives me a few Nightfall procs for and heals me.

This way you don't even need a Voidwalker for shield. Keep your Felhunter out at all times to silence casters and disspell magical effects like sheep other debuffs. Also he will give you +60 Resistance to all schools of magic and will hardly be banishable as he will have 180 Resistance. On Casters I put CoT ofc, on Mages I personally don't waste a global cd and mana for curses at all.

Undead rogues are a joke if you manage to attack them when they're not stealthed or you see them before they stun you (Paranoia of the Felhunter is highly useful). When they manage to ambush you it's a hard fight. I always Deathcoil them, put Corruption and Amplified CoA and Immolate on them and hope thats enough as they usually only have very low hp. If they have their sprint on cd you can kite them. But I dont even try to cast fear on them as they will inturrupt it anyway. I just use the time I'm not stunned to renew dots or pop my healthstone.

About the succubus... it doesn't really make any sense in my spec and I think it isn't useful for any lock except a perfectly geared destruction warlock. You won't be able to use your dots which is weird as a lock in my oppinion and you'll lose 3 vital abilities for pvp (Paranoia, Spell Lock and Devour Magic. Or even 4 if you count in the Magical Resistances of Demonology Locks).
sascha1es
Grunt
Grunt

by Numi » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 pm

sascha1es wrote:Doesnt really play any role in 1v1 pvp later in my opinion.

If you don't want to have any problems running around in the open world and want to do a lot of pvp I highly recommend to skill 20/31/0 for Soullink and Nightfall. You will feel like a tank.

About the succubus... it doesn't really make any sense in my spec and I think it isn't useful for any lock except a perfectly geared destruction warlock.

1v1 pvp is not a big part of this game, it happens, but the gear and the surprise factor is whats relevant, specc is almost always no big deal because fights are so quick, 99% the ganker will kill you if youre not prepared for a gank. That said, demo does have a much better chance at surviving and is possibly the best at farming as well, but havent tried demo in good pve gear yet as respecc is not cheap.

I dont recommend 20/31, it is great 1v1 or as a backup of the backup flag carrier, but the scenarios where it beats 7/33/11 are far and few between in any content besides 1v1s and even then, part destro is much better vs bursty classes.

The succubus is great for all specs that runs Ruin, the ability to send of a soul fire in a seduce is just too strong and it prevents you from getting kicked while fearing / casting shadow damage spells. But its mostly a 1v1 pet, felhunter is a lot more usefull in BGs because you can interrupt a healer for a long time.
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by marcl » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:53 am

Pilgrim wrote:Specifically higher level ones who have seen some wpvp. How rough is it going against undeads? I know there are a ton of them. I want to play a human lock but feel like in the long run it could suck in pvp when undeads are lol wotf all over the place. Does stealth detection against the many rogues make up for it? I try to not worry about racials too much but if its something like this I feel like on a pvp server it bears consideration.

2 minute cooldown. Yes it can give some advantage over someone without, but it wouldn't make or break a PvP unless both players were fairly evenly matched. In my 400+ days playtime in Vanilla, I never once remember specifically thinking "damn those undead". Deathcoil, run away, come back and re-fear if that's your thing. I hardly ever feared in PvP unless it was to defend a flag in AB from being capped... then you can use Succubus to hold 1 off, fear to hold another, and Goblin Rocket Helmet for another... while you kill the 4th. Any other time it's generally easier to just kill them quicker.
marcl
Tester

by Bioness » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:59 am

Another thing and this can be used for PvP in general, but as a Warlock when facing an Undead you can you take up Engineering for the stun bombs or even get creative and stock up on Magic Dust to put them to sleep, which will cause them to use their racial early.
Bioness
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by sascha1es » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:11 am

Numi wrote:1v1 pvp is not a big part of this game, it happens, but the gear and the surprise factor is whats relevant, specc is almost always no big deal because fights are so quick, 99% the ganker will kill you if youre not prepared for a gank. That said, demo does have a much better chance at surviving and is possibly the best at farming as well, but havent tried demo in good pve gear yet as respecc is not cheap.

I dont recommend 20/31, it is great 1v1 or as a backup of the backup flag carrier, but the scenarios where it beats 7/33/11 are far and few between in any content besides 1v1s and even then, part destro is much better vs bursty classes.

The succubus is great for all specs that runs Ruin, the ability to send of a soul fire in a seduce is just too strong and it prevents you from getting kicked while fearing / casting shadow damage spells. But its mostly a 1v1 pet, felhunter is a lot more usefull in BGs because you can interrupt a healer for a long time.

I think 1v1 plays a huge role in this game as those are the situations that are either becoming really satisfying or really frustrating. And there are a lot of them both in wpvp and in bg's. In wpvp while farming thorium for example I haven't been killed a single time by another horde with this spec, not even when they got the surprise moment. I think that is really important to have fun. And also in bg's this spec is awesome. As a Warlock you're often solo defending bases in ab for example where there are a lot of 1v1 fights. And affliction helps a lot there against melee classes because of improved drain life and Fel Concentration. And even if it's not 1v1, you're going to survive and inturrupt them capping long enough for reinforcements to arrive. In wsg there isn't a lot of 1v1 happening, true. But you will dot, cast CoT, disspell sheep, fear and silence healers for most of the time anyway. And destruction isn't really important to do that.

I also go raiding in this spec, as my guild is only farming mc anyway. But when BWL will be released I might get a pve spec again as this spec really sucks in pve, especially now that you can't exploit the bug with ressing the pet anymore.
sascha1es
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Warlock