Alliance PvP as Lock

Alliance PvP as Lock

by Boonkin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:35 am

Is playing a warlock on Alli side really that hard considering our main CC + pet CC are rendered useless by the racial of 50% players (the percentage of UDs in BGs is probably much higher)?

Or is it not that bad considering alternative measures that Hu or Gnome locks can implement (i.e. Living Action Pot, Skull of Doom, +500 dmg absorb trinket)?

My main fear (heh) as you can probably understand are UD rogues. Is the issue entirely solved by rolling Human (perception + paranoia)?

Thanks in advance
Boonkin
Private
Private

Re: Alliance PvP as Lock

by newtee2 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:48 am

Boonkin wrote:Is the issue entirely solved by rolling Human (perception + paranoia)?

No way jose.
newtee2
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Numi » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:54 am

Horde has some strengths, alliance has other strengths. Play what you like to play, don't pick a faction based on what racial is available.
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by newtee2 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:42 pm

Numi wrote:Horde has some strengths, alliance has other strengths. Play what you like to play, don't pick a faction based on what racial is available.

I disagree. For pvp the best option is going to be horde no matter what. Wotf and stun resistance is too valuable and outweighs the benefits of ea and perception.

For strictly pve human is going to be good for the rep gain and lock for the extra int. But wotf is useful in pve too.
newtee2
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Numi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:02 pm

newtee2 wrote:For strictly pve human is going to be good for the rep gain and lock for the extra int. But wotf is useful in pve too.

Name a boss that fears a warlock. That's right, none... I won't argue why horde isn't superior, there's benefits to both sides.
Numi
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by newtee2 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:46 pm

Numi wrote:
newtee2 wrote:For strictly pve human is going to be good for the rep gain and lock for the extra int. But wotf is useful in pve too.

Name a boss that fears a warlock. That's right, none... I won't argue why horde isn't superior, there's benefits to both sides.

Onyxia, and nef/magmadar if you're not careful (mistakes happen)
newtee2
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by RyuKv » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Play what faction you like, don't pick by skills, yea they add small stuff yes, but overall you have to play with what you like and look cool for you and if you are good at pvp you will compensate for these things that are missing. Don't ask others what you should play.
Because some people like one faction and probably never play on the other + an infinity of reasons.
I play as human and i do this because I like how they look like, a lot of my friends play on alliance, etc.

P.S. This is my opinion and if you come here saying that i am wrong, I don't care ;)

And sorry for my broken English.
RyuKv
Tester

by Aethelwulf » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Boonkin wrote:Is playing a warlock on Alli side really that hard considering our main CC + pet CC are rendered useless by the racial of 50% players (the percentage of UDs in BGs is probably much higher)?

In a way it's easier, since there's less for you to do. Trouble is, Horde is just so much damn better as a Warlock it's not even funny.

Or is it not that bad considering alternative measures that Hu or Gnome locks can implement (i.e. Living Action Pot, Skull of Doom, +500 dmg absorb trinket)?

There's always alternative measures that you can use. Engineering remains a popular source of CC, and if you can, Magic Dust and Nets are some great supplemental CC consumables you might farm in Westfall. You can also try to farm the Tidal Charm trinket. They all help and keep you relevant. Thing is, you can do this as any class or as a Horde lock (Well, farming Westfall is not so convenient as Horde), so the value of doing this as an Alliance Warlock falls off quite a bit. Might want to ask yourself what you like the most about the Warlock and if there isn't another class (Shadow Priest, Mage, Hunter) that suits you better.

My main fear (heh) as you can probably understand are UD rogues. Is the issue entirely solved by rolling Human (perception + paranoia)?

Perception does almost nothing against getting ganked by UD rogues. It's not a passive stealth detection boost. It's an activated ability which only detects regular stealth, not vanish. So you need to use Perception when an enemy is nearby but before they opened on you. It's a neat trick if you want to know if the coast is clear, and great for duels and arenas, but extremely unreliable for regular PvP. You'd have better luck using Catseye Goggles and/or a Catseye Elixir with Paranoia if you want to spot Rogues moving near you.

RyuKv wrote:Play what faction you like, don't pick by skills, yea they add small stuff yes, but overall you have to play with what you like and look cool for you and if you are good at pvp you will compensate for these things that are missing. Don't ask others what you should play.

This is wrong. Good players understand they should look at racials because they often have huge implications for PvP and PvE and because they recognize that a bad racial choice can handicap your class and lock you out of the upper tiers of skilled play. In the case of Warlocks, it is especially true that there is a drastic difference between playing as Horde and playing as Alliance. To claim otherwise is to be ignorant.

Because some people like one faction and probably never play on the other + an infinity of reasons.
I play as human and i do this because I like how they look like, a lot of my friends play on alliance, etc.

P.S. This is my opinion and if you come here saying that i am wrong, I don't care ;)

And sorry for my broken English.

And you're welcome to play with friends. You're welcome to pick racial choices you think are cooler. But at the end of the day that doesn't change the fact that you pay a price for picking the wrong race with the wrong class.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Cody121 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:54 pm

Dealing with UD is relatively easy. Use seduction, UD will most likely use WoTF, at which point you can death coil, once DC wears off, WoTF buff should be expired in which case you can fear. Takes some practice getting the timing right so you don't waste a cast while Will is still active. Don't make the mistake like most noob warlocks do such as death coiling an UD the moment he gets a jump on you.
Cody121
Sergeant
Sergeant

by sownu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Cody121 wrote:Dealing with UD is relatively easy. Use seduction, UD will most likely use WoTF, at which point you can death coil, once DC wears off, WoTF buff should be expired in which case you can fear. Takes some practice getting the timing right so you don't waste a cast while Will is still active. Don't make the mistake like most noob warlocks do such as death coiling an UD the moment he gets a jump on you.

OFC you can still deal with UD, but now you dont have coil to use on burst, interrupt, heal or peel.

As a horde warlock u dont have to deal with that crap.
sownu
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Next

Return to Warlock