[BOOMKIN] Comprehensive BiS List (1.11/Naxx)

Re: [BOOMKIN] Comprehensive BiS List (1.11/Naxx)

by TwinHeadedKraken » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:15 pm

Hey guys, currently done plugging the formulas for 1.7 and 1.8 and getting their corresponding "item scores"

I was also surprised to see how low crit and hit were valued at in terms of spell damage, but if any of the theory crafters who are kind enough to let us know of any changes, the formulas can easily recalculate themselves once I enter the new values. If this happens, I'll reorganize the list accordingly.

I will finish up the 1.7/1.8 pre-raid tonight, and further plug in the formulas for the rest of the patches over the weekend.

Also, thanks Norjak, I have included all Abyssal items :)
TwinHeadedKraken
Grunt
Grunt

by Keftenk » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:38 pm

Good job, I'm assuming there are discrepancies. This is just me testing after all and on a mob level that is lower than I am. If anything this is a spring board in the right direction.
Keftenk
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Lorilay » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:51 am

Math time. Thanks mainly to our warlock overlords (all hail the burning legion), here's your overall dps calculation for spamming starfire in a raid (assuming you have nature's grace, and miss is 17-your hit):
(StarfireBase+spellpower)(1+crit/100)(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100)

Now, there's three variables that can affect your dps here: spellpower, crit, and hit. However, they're all related to each other so it isn't a linear relationship.
The derivative of spellpower (x) to your damage is: (1+crit/100)*(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100)
The derivative of crit (y) to your damage is: (StarfireBase+spellpower)(1/100)(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100)
The derivative of hit (z) to your damage is: (StarfireBase+spellpower)(1+crit/100)(1/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100)

Therefore:
1 crit = y/x spellpower
1 hit = z/x spellpower

This is a little more comprehensive than static values used in the druid gear lists and it beats testing without full raid debuffs (specifically curse of shadow) on mobs.
Last edited by Lorilay on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorilay
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Roadkill57 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:24 pm

Is there a base amount of crit before int is calculated?
Roadkill57
Private
Private

by Taladril » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:23 pm

Lorilay wrote:Math time. Thanks mainly to our warlock overlords (all hail the burning legion), here's your overall dps calculation for spamming starfire in a raid (assuming you have nature's grace, and miss is 17-your hit):
(StarfireBase+spellpower)(1+crit/100)(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit)

Now, there's three variables that can affect your dps here: spellpower, crit, and hit. However, they're all related to each other so it isn't a linear relationship.
The derivative of spellpower (x) to your damage is: (1+crit/100)*(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit)
The derivative of crit (y) to your damage is: (StarfireBase+spellpower)(1/100)(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit)
The derivative of hit (z) to your damage is: (StarfireBase+spellpower)(1+crit/100)(1/100)/(3-0.5*crit)

Therefore:
1 crit = y/x spellpower
1 hit = z/x spellpower

This is a little more comprehensive than static values used in the druid gear lists and it beats testing without full raid debuffs (specifically curse of shadow) on mobs.

Could you clarify these equations a bit? I'm pretty hopeless at feeling 100% confident at doing algebra correctly so I don't want to derive it myself. There needs to be more parentheses to tell me where exactly the multiplier and divider are in order of operations. I will run some numbers in spreadsheets to get a sense of how it looks and we can compare to keftenk's real world results. Thanks.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Keftenk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:37 pm

Oh, nice! Actual formulas instead of trying to find them through real world tests!
This should make this way more precise and easier to obtain, haha. I'd have to do completely different tests though now.
Keftenk
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Keftenk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:16 pm

Taladril wrote:Could you clarify these equations a bit? I'm pretty hopeless at feeling 100% confident at doing algebra correctly so I don't want to derive it myself. There needs to be more parentheses to tell me where exactly the multiplier and divider are in order of operations. I will run some numbers in spreadsheets to get a sense of how it looks and we can compare to keftenk's real world results. Thanks.

Here are the excel functions, Taladril:

The derivative of spellpower (x) to your damage is: (1+crit/100)*(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit)
The derivative of crit (y) to your damage is: (StarfireBase+spellpower)(1/100)(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit)
The derivative of hit (z) to your damage is: (StarfireBase+spellpower)(1+crit/100)(1/100)/(3-0.5*crit)

The derivative of spellpower (x) to your damage is: ((1+(crit/100))*(1-(miss/100)))/(3-(0.5*crit/100))
The derivative of crit (y) to your damage is: ((StarfireBase+spellpower)*(1/100)*(1-(miss/100)))/(3-(0.5*crit/100))
The derivative of hit (z) to your damage is: ((StarfireBase+spellpower)*(1+(crit/100))*(1/100))/(3-(0.5*crit/100))
Last edited by Keftenk on Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keftenk
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Lorilay » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:21 pm

Taladril wrote:
Lorilay wrote:Math time. Thanks mainly to our warlock overlords (all hail the burning legion), here's your overall dps calculation for spamming starfire in a raid (assuming you have nature's grace, and miss is 17-your hit):
(StarfireBase+spellpower)(1+crit/100)(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100)

The derivative of spellpower (x) to your damage is: (1+crit/100)*(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100)
The derivative of crit (y) to your damage is: (StarfireBase+spellpower)(1/100)(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100)
The derivative of hit (z) to your damage is: (StarfireBase+spellpower)(1+crit/100)(1/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100)

Therefore:
1 crit = y/x spellpower
1 hit = z/x spellpower

Could you clarify these equations a bit? I'm pretty hopeless at feeling 100% confident at doing algebra correctly so I don't want to derive it myself. There needs to be more parentheses to tell me where exactly the multiplier and divider are in order of operations. I will run some numbers in spreadsheets to get a sense of how it looks and we can compare to keftenk's real world results. Thanks.

Caveat: I shamelessly stole this from all the hard work Cousy and Particles have done to optimize warlock and mage dps. Druid is considerably easier to do, since we don't have stupid things like Arcane Power, Improved Shadowbolt, and Ignite to worry about.

(StarfireBase+spellpower) Starfire is a 3.5 second base cast, so there is no spellpower coefficient. Your damage is just the base damage of Starfire + your total spellpower bonus.
(1+crit/100) If you have 20% crit, your damage will be increased by 20%, assuming you have 5/5 vengeance.
(1-miss/100) If you have 10% miss, that will be a straight 10% loss to your dps.
(3-0.5*crit/100) This calculation is for dps. Starfire has a (talented) 3 second cast, and your crit % of the time it will be 0.5 seconds faster with nature's grace. **Edit: I forgot to divide your crit by 100 for this. That makes a fairly significant difference, lol. I edited it into my earlier posts.

Now, what we're really interested in is applying this to gear choices, so it's important to identify how each stat contributes to dps. Not that each contribution depends on the other two variables. This is why you need to use derivatives instead of just algebra.
(1+crit/100)*(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100) This is what modifies the contribution of spellpower to damage. (dps/sp)
(StarfireBase+spellpower)(1/100)(1-miss/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100) This is what modifies the contribution of crit to damage. (dps/crit)
(StarfireBase+spellpower)(1+crit/100)(1/100)/(3-0.5*crit/100) This is what modifies the contribution of hit to damage. (dps/hit)

Using the first derivative above, you should find that 1 spellpower will increase your dps by x (something around 0.35-0.42ish, depending on your gear). To find how much spellpower 1 crit equals, just divide dps/crit by dps/sp. The terms cancel out and you get sp/crit. You can calculate sp/hit in the same way.

So, if you wanted to make a spreadsheet of gear upgrades, you would want to first list how much hit (listed on the item), spellpower (listed on the item), and crit (listed on the item + int/60) on each piece of your gear, then add them together to get your total stat values. Then determine the dps increase from each of those 3 stats (using the respective derivative above), and add them together for the total damage provided by a specific piece of gear (dps/sp + dps/crit + dps/hit). Then you can swap in alternate gear to determine the dps increase by it.

It's worth pointing out that this is just for maximizing your potential dps, with no regard to silly things like mana regen. There's no way to reliably model that, so I would suggest gearing for maximum dps and then swapping regen items if you're finding yourself perma-oom before the end of a fight.
Last edited by Lorilay on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lorilay
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Roadkill57 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:25 pm

But if you have 6 crit you divide by 0 and if you have more than 6 crit you end up with a negative dps... I might be doing the math wrong...

Edit: nvm I see where you corrected it =D
Last edited by Roadkill57 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roadkill57
Private
Private

by Lorilay » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:28 pm

Roadkill57 wrote:But if you have 6 crit you divide by 0 and if you have more than 6 crit you end up with a negative dps... I might be doing the math wrong...

I edited in my mistake. Your crit is a percentage chance, so 6 crit would be 0.06.
Lorilay
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Druid