Elemental or Enhancement for PvP

Elemental or Enhancement for PvP

by Gromm » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:24 am

Hello, I am currently leveling a Shaman for PvP purposes, but I'm not sure if I should be Elemental or Enhancement.
Can anyone here tell me the pros and cons of both specs?
Thank you in advance!

I noticed that the windfury effect is not showing, and that I'm not getting the AP bonus when it procs. Are there plans to fix it any time soon?
Gromm
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Elemental or Enhancement for PvP

by Thatoneguy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:09 am

Enhancement is the better duel spec. Duels start out with about ~10 yards range from each other and are exclusive to 1v1 scenarios. Bloodskull has a thread about it: https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24796

Elemental is better in WPvP and BGPvP.
Thatoneguy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by joeway » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Windfury weapon is in fact not working properly with respect to the bonus AP from the proc. It's a rather large portion of burst damage your missing out on especially if they crit. Just need to suck it up until you have picked up your elemental gear as those are even harder to acquire.
joeway
Private
Private

by Thatoneguy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:51 pm

WF + bonus AP works fine.

Even if it didn't, enhancement is still the best 1V1 duel spec for many reasons that have nothing to do with WF crits.
Thatoneguy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by dustinfll » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:06 am

Both are OP so basically you can faceroll your choice just like you can faceroll your class.

Freeznfire - Coalition

http://www.twitch.tv/frz_wow
dustinfll
Grunt
Grunt

by joeway » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:19 am

Thatoneguy wrote:WF + bonus AP works fine.

Even if it didn't, enhancement is still the best 1V1 duel spec for many reasons that have nothing to do with WF crits.

The bonus AP for windfury weapon does not work my friend, I have tested it. Now with respects to the elemental weapons talent, i dont know if that stacks on AP as it should because i havent put in points to it yet but i will tonight and update.

Your second statement however does not hold true. As enh your main output damage is weapon damage so crits are very important, especially for 2hers. You cant rely on constant shocks n totems because enh builds just dont have the mana capacity for it. Your essentially using a broken ability that gimps your maximum output damage by 20%.
joeway
Private
Private

by Oldlemon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:30 am

Why not both?

My spec is http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hEozx0hoZxVfzV0ux

My reason for going elemental devestation instead of eye of the storm is that: 1. sometimes you don't get crit and you get push back for days. 2. I am a cow so I war stomp for one free heal. I ran eye of the storm before and honestly sometimes it can be really helpful but most of the time if you play well you shouldnt need more than one heal.

Now shamans are hybrids. You can go glass cannon stormstrike spec if you want, but if WF doesn't proc then you hit for nothing and your spells hit for not much. With this spec and 85 spell power and 4% spell crit my earth shocks can go 12 - 1400 unbuffed. Now take that with a nice windfury proc and you have one shot leather / cloth classes. You can also do a lot of damage with chain lightning, if you get rooted and can't get out you can cast CL / LB and get big crits and then continue to melee once you reach them.

Also, always have a shield / 1h (i use mindfang for now) and you can wreck warriors / rogues because you can get so much armor and your spells hit hard + flurry on a dagger can get you a lot of WF procs.

Also enchant your weapon with spell power. Crusader barely ever procs in the time of a pvp battle with no instant cast melee attacks.

And lightning shield does quite good damage and you should always have it up vs a warrior or rogue
Oldlemon
Private
Private

by joeway » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:02 am

ok i can confirm that Windfury Weapon & Elemental Weapon Talent for Windfury AP bonus both DO NOT work.
joeway
Private
Private

by Baalls » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:03 pm

Elemental.

The defensive capabilities for an elemental spec is often underrated. As a hybrid class the occasional heal tossed to a healing priest/druid as they are getting focused will be more significant than if you are maxing AP/Crit. With Enh, you are effectively a warrior without charge or MS that can(when RNG gods will) blow the hell out of a target.

Often I find that elemental shaman's capabilities for utilizing totems properly far exceeds that of an enhancement.
Baalls
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Aethelwulf » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:33 pm

21/30/0 is a disaster build. You trade the instant attacks and spell damage multiplier of Stormstrike for some slightly harder crits. That's a horrible trade-off. If you want both, you can go 33/18/0 where you get the raw power of Ele backed with the two-handed swings of enhance (it gets more fun with Elemental Devastation, esp. if you have Sulfuras and maybe Fiery enchant and Storm Gauntlets - their crits all fuel Elemental Devastation) or you go 0/30/21 where you get 70% interrupt resistance while healing and keep a NS+CL or NS+GHW in the bag for clutch moments. Or you can go full ele build at 30/0/21 and just swing high damage staves like Nat Pagle's Fish Terminator or Slavedriver's Cane.

At any rate, Tauren race is strongly recommended if you want to cast anything since it doesn't GCD so Stompcasts are amazing to have up your sleeves.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Next

Return to Shaman