Prot Paladin Questions: Defense and Reckoning

Prot Paladin Questions: Defense and Reckoning

by board_zacharyan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:10 am

Howdy Fellow Paladins,

I have heard before, and seen in other builds, that Reckoning is a must have for a Tankadin. However, none of the tankadin builds I see on the forums recently put points into it. What gives?

Also, back in vanilla (from memory and old forums), Defense didn't seem to be a big must have for paladins. But on this forum, I see defense in the prot talent tree, and on every BIS pre-raid item. Is it a must have on Nost?

Thanks!
board_zacharyan
Tester

Re: Prot Paladin Questions: Defense and Reckoning

by smilkovpetko » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:01 am

If you plan to tank raids = defense is must. (reckoning is useless)

if you plan to tank 5 mans = whatever .
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Kasen » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:05 am

Reckoning is a must only if you want to reckbomb in PvP.
In PvE situations it's hardly ever useful and there are better talent choices over it.

You can ignore the defense rating if you plan to tank 5mans only, but when it comes to the raids, it's very serious.
What makes paladins derpy tanks in raids, is not even the lack of a taunt, but that core damage mitigation ability (Redoubt) procs of being critically hit, which should be avoided at all costs. Therefore stuff with +Defense rating is must, despite it literally removes damage mitigation talent procs.
Kasen
Sergeant
Sergeant

by smilkovpetko » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:34 am

Kasen wrote:Reckoning is a must only if you want to reckbomb in PvP.
In PvE situations it's hardly ever useful and there are better talent choices over it.

You can ignore the defense rating if you plan to tank 5mans only, but when it comes to the raids, it's very serious.
What makes paladins derpy tanks in raids, is not even the lack of a taunt, but that core damage mitigation ability (Redoubt) procs of being critically hit, which should be avoided at all costs. Therefore stuff with +Defense rating is must, despite it literally removes damage mitigation talent procs.

damage mitigation = damage reduce = shield specialization.

even without redoubt you still got holy shield and holy shield is core (not redoubt) .

5 man = whatever

raid = def cap is must.

not eating crits is twice better than some random block dmg mitigation.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Kasen » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:55 am

smilkovpetko wrote:even without redoubt you still got holy shield and holy shield is core (not redoubt) .

Redoubt and Holy Shield - Both are 30% block increase for 10 sec, Redoubt is 5 charges, and Holy Shield - 4 charges + some damage.
I mean that they are pretty equal and having one of them inevitably removed via must-have defcap is more than sad even game-mechanic wise.
Kasen
Sergeant
Sergeant

by smilkovpetko » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:02 am

Kasen wrote:
smilkovpetko wrote:even without redoubt you still got holy shield and holy shield is core (not redoubt) .

Redoubt and Holy Shield - Both are 30% block increase for 10 sec, Redoubt is 5 charges, and Holy Shield - 4 charges + some damage.
I mean that they are pretty equal and having one of them inevitably removed via must-have defcap is more than sad even game-mechanic wise.

that is true , but redoubt in vanilla is nothing more than extra aggro.

def cap is major damage mitigation for us paladins .

def cap>stamina>avoidance>whatever is what we need, especially that in bwl/mc bosses/mobs hits mostly with breath/fire spells etc.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Theloras » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:04 am

Kasen wrote:

Redoubt is incredibly good and almost Godlike as far as AoE tanking when def cap isn't needed.

Especially when not 31 points deep in Prot tree or when tanking 5/10 man runs when def cap isn't needed.

Even more so when using Force Reactive Disc :P
Theloras
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Return to Paladin