Frost mage PvP build

Frost mage PvP build

by skyracer500 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:33 am

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#obhnr0bZZVVGbRbtho

Is this any good? I chose Cone of Cold over piercing ice because I use it SO much.. That can be a good 1.8k crit instead of 1.2k (if it's even that low with lvl 60 gear). No arcane resilience as 250 (even if) armor isn't going to change the fight. Piercing ice is ok, but that can barely even net 35 extra damage. Improved blizzard for group support or escaping 5+ people and it has saved me countless times. Permafrost for obvious reasons.

I guess what I'm asking is, should I move some of the points in the arcane tree to other talents? I feel like arcane subtelty is crucial. You won't believe how many times +10 resist has actually saved me or killed me.
skyracer500
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Frost mage PvP build

by ShaqPack » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:18 am

Not bad but you're missing points in arcane focus and elemental precision - you will want those as nothing is worse then having a sheep or frost bolt resist, usually means you will be in trouble quick. You can cut out points in improved blizzard and chill, those talents really only have usage in AV, and even then, it's pretty situational (blizzard is unlikely to actually kill anyone, most will run out of it).
ShaqPack
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Walthern » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:55 am

I dont see where I could use this build, if its something you crafted for you own playstyle its fine.
But it seems a bit all over the place, like you are trying to get everything but in the end miss some essential stuff.
Walthern
Grunt
Grunt

by toeshred » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:01 pm

I see so many wasted points. About 8.

This is the build I usually go with:
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0ibobZZVVGcoftho
toeshred
Sergeant
Sergeant

by skyracer500 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Toeshed, that's a pve build. @shaq, why ele precision? I thought it doesn't work as a literal hit percentage? I rolled hunter on peenix and tested out the 5-10% trap resist talent and it seems as though it doesn't function as a hit %, but instead a literal resist percent.. same wording as ele precision and arcane focus so I think it's the same?

Meaning something like if you get 1% hit, it drops your resist chance by (assuming 20% since 5% hit is pvp cap) 20%, but ele precision just does 6% when maxed meaning it's barely 1% hit.
Last edited by skyracer500 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyracer500
Sergeant
Sergeant

by skyracer500 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:52 pm

How about something like this then??
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0Nc0bZZViGrkbtbo

I know it looks like I'm going all over the place, but I didn't max out EVERYTHING that I put points into. I'm trying to go for a more supportive build, I guess.

Let me explain a few of my choices.. I've seen a lot of mages go 3/5 arc focus and permafrost is rly nice for kiting in 1v2 situations. Imp blizzard + permafrost is pretty much an instant snare for the 5 people I usually see chasing our FC and it can really, REALLY screw over druid efc's. Improved CoC because I use it on CD usually and it is really huge damage. 4/5 arc concentration as I can't rely on an extra 2% or even 8% talent to be the game changer when I can put points elsewhere.

Elemental precision is a talent I never see people take, but people always tell me to. Again, I don't think it counts much as a hit % since it's giving SO much and it never did much on feenix. Piercing ice, an extra 2% won't exactly do too much, arcane resil is a waste of a point unless I get 1000 int. Frost channeling is debatable but only worth it if it's 2/3 annnnd I'm unsure about the arcane explosion talent.
skyracer500
Sergeant
Sergeant

by toeshred » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:20 pm

skyracer500 wrote:Toeshed, that's a pve build. @shaq, why ele precision? I thought it doesn't work as a literal hit percentage? I rolled hunter on peenix and tested out the 5-10% trap resist talent and it seems as though it doesn't function as a hit %, but instead a literal resist percent.. same wording as ele precision and arcane focus so I think it's the same?

Meaning something like if you get 1% hit, it drops your resist chance by (assuming 20% since 5% hit is pvp cap) 20%, but ele precision just does 6% when maxed meaning it's barely 1% hit.

LOL pve build... (I think you mean Arcane Power Frost, because that is pretty much the ONLY PvE build at this point)

It's a "mages are already great at killing melee, so better to get talents that help vs casters" build. You REALLY don't need Permafrost or Imp Blizzard for pvp. Unless you just want to be "that annoying mage on the AV bridge", in which case, that's pretty lame thing to be known for.

If you think it's pve because I put talents into mana efficiency, then think again when you're trying to 1v3 or 1v4 people.
Last edited by toeshred on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
toeshred
Sergeant
Sergeant

by skyracer500 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Instead of being aggressive, maybe you could have just said that. If someone is really going to point me out and ruin my reputation about improved blizzard in a zergfest then this server has some really unprioritized pvpers. Maybe, you should read my last post about how useful it can be in situations that I encounter quite often.

Also, other casting classes tend to overpower mages. It comes down to luck and gear really, so I'm more concerned about being supportive since I suck serious ass at vanilla healing and doing what mages do best in vanilla. Nuking from a distance, being a pest and screwing over the other team. I guess there really isn't much to debate about when it comes to mage pvp, but oh well. Thanks anyways forums!
skyracer500
Sergeant
Sergeant

by toeshred » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:30 am

Momoh wrote:http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZkZiAGIcftAo

I'm not sure which is worse. The lack of Cold Snap, or the 5/5 Winter's Chill.
toeshred
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Mage