Bloodtinged Gloves (also have T2)
Mana igniting cord
Ring of Spell Power
Band of Forced Concentration
Eye of the Beast
Briarwood Reed
TOEP that I switch in and out.
Need:MQG

So I'm not sure what I should get next from nef. The obvious choice is tear but unfortunately I'm pretty down the list in line to get it. So that being the case should I go for Staff of the Shadow Flame or Mish'undare, Circlet of the Mind Flayer?

I've been looking at AQ loot trying to figure out which pieces I would be holding onto/ using the longest. I know nefs tear &MQG is are for sure, not quite sure about the staff (unless you don't pvp and need hit) any others I shoulder be focusing on?

On a somewhat related note: Does anyone know if there is a mage spreadsheet for BIS gear with each patch like the warlocks, druids, priests etc... do?
Example:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15AoVLUiRj_Q3JTjQovCAKfYW4ktiWD7foo2tWomkGIQ/edit#gid=118447046

Would be awesome to have one. Don't get me wrong Lazermon's Thread is great, but It would be nice to know whats coming up in the future.

Thank you for your time! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Flame on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flame
Grunt
Grunt

Re: What to get next? Input appreciated!

by pitfighter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:13 pm

One item you should definitely consider is Mind Quickening Gem. For most fights, MQG is by far the best item in the game. If you are valuing upgrades in immediate terms over your current gear, here is what I'd place value on:

MQG > Staff > Tear > Circlet

That being said. If you look at it differently, you can factor on how replaceable they are in future content.

MQG (BIS for many fights for rest of game)
Tear (BIS for basically rest of game)
Circlet (BiS until Naxx)
Staff (Silithid Femur from Viscidus + OH is better)

If I were you I would go MQG > Tear > Circlet > Staff.

Understanding that this isn't a vacuum and that there are other people to factor in you could probably put Circlet above Tear for now, because you mentioned there is a wait list.
Last edited by pitfighter on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pitfighter
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Ana » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Mish lasts arguably longer because the AQ alternative is T2.5 which is comparable, while Shadow Flame gets replaced by Femur + OH which is a huge upgrade.
That being said, replacing Bloodcaller with something that isn't crap wouldn't be a bad idea either :P

Get some cloak when you can. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Oh, and MQG. Obviously. It's bis until wotlk.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Flame » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:33 pm

pitfighter wrote:One item you should definitely consider is Mind Quickening Gem. For most fights, MQG is by far the best item in the game. If you are valuing upgrades in immediate terms over your current gear, here is what I'd place value on:

MQG > Staff > Tear > Circlet

That being said. If you look at it differently, you can factor on how replaceable they are in future content.

MQG (BIS for many fights for rest of game)
Tear (BIS for basically rest of game)
Circlet (BiS until Naxx)
Staff (Silithid Femur from Viscidus + OH is better)

If I were you I would go MQG > Tear > Circlet > Staff.

Understanding that this isn't a vacuum and that there are other people to factor in you could probably put Circlet above Tear for now, because you mentioned there is a wait list.

Ok awesome! Yeah I completely forgot to put in MQG but figured it was implied lol, just veal to drop one for me! Thank you for the response, I Just looked up the sword and it's a Mindfang/Mageblade on steroids! :shock: It also has a badass model.
Last edited by Flame on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flame
Grunt
Grunt

by Flame » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:47 pm

Ana wrote:Mish lasts arguably longer because the AQ alternative is T2.5 which is comparable, while Shadow Flame gets replaced by Femur + OH which is a huge upgrade.
That being said, replacing Bloodcaller with something that isn't crap wouldn't be a bad idea either :P

Get some cloak when you can. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Oh, and MQG. Obviously. It's bis until wotlk.

So basicly get MQG & Helm and save up for tear. Sounds solid to me!

What are your thoughts on replacing bracers of arcane accuracy with Frostfire Bindings? I feel like the reduction of my spell targets magical resistances by 10 is pretty sweet. Could be completely wrong though, I'm new to vanilla, started playing retail in late bc.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome.
Flame
Grunt
Grunt

by vinceyoung » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:52 pm

Are you in a DKP guild? Might be wise to just min bid on the MQG since it can only go to mages and you will probably see enough for every mage to get one anyway. This way you have more DKP for items that are more competitive to get.

edit: Get rockfury bracers when they come out.
vinceyoung
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Flame » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:59 pm

vinceyoung wrote:Are you in a DKP guild? Might be wise to just min bid on the MQG since it can only go to mages and you will probably see enough for every mage to get one anyway. This way you have more DKP for items that are more competitive to get.

edit: Get rockfury bracers when they come out.

Ok will do. Just looked up the offhand Royal Scepter of Vek'lor to go with femur and must say ty. That combo is crazy good!
Flame
Grunt
Grunt

by pitfighter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:06 pm

For sure, happy to provide some advice. Keep in mind that I'm in a corrupt loot council so my thoughts may be a little biased there vs a dkp system.

I wouldn't place too much value on Frostfire Bindings as both Arcane Accuracy and Rockfury are probably much better overall. I have not tested out spell resistance reduction yet, so maybe Nost treats it differently than Blizzard did. Once released, Rockfury can be farmed without spending any DKP, so I would focus on gathering the other pieces of gear first before going after Accuracy bracers (unless they are going cheap).

Vince is right on about the MQG. If you have not already had a few drop for your guild you could just save your dkp for other more dkp-competitive items.

Ana's advice on replacing Bloodcaller is right on. You could either go for Mindfang by getting Exalted AB, or spend some DKP on either Azuresong Mageblade, Claw of Chrommag or Staff.
pitfighter
Sergeant
Sergeant

by pitfighter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:43 pm

Another thing to keep in mind is that stat valuation will change once you spec fire. I have not created a spreadsheet for fire dps itemization but I can tell you that crit will become more heavily valued than at its current state and hit, while still important, will be probably slightly lower.

There's a lot more values to keep in mind in Fire spec, such as stacking scorch, rolling ignites, fireball dots etc.
pitfighter
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Flame » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:25 pm

pitfighter wrote:Another thing to keep in mind is that stat valuation will change once you spec fire. I have not created a spreadsheet for fire dps itemization but I can tell you that crit will become more heavily valued than at its current state and hit, while still important, will be probably slightly lower.

There's a lot more values to keep in mind in Fire spec, such as stacking scorch, rolling ignites, fireball dots etc.

That is very true! I have already started my fire gear set by getting a few things here and there, mostly out of mc :) I cannot wait to play an interactive fun spec again as opposed to a 1 button stop cast spam!
Flame
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Mage