Hacking on WSG

Account or connection issues

Re: Hacking on WSG

by ayrb13 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:23 am

Zyfire wrote:
ayrb13 wrote:Screenshots are useless for checking, we can't see running speed of hackers from pictures. A video is hard to get while we are playing in BG. I think the best proof is game server logs.

Dude, logs aren't magic, you can't LOG if a player is hacking or not, if their Warden system does not see the player hacking, they won't have any logs of it happening.

At best what exists in logs are:
Chat messages for all chats
Auction house items
Commands used by players & GMs
perhaps a few more things.

Such a thing as a LOG to see if someone is hacking does not exist, sorry.

I think server can log some information such as position and timestamp of a charactor, then the speed can be calculated. If speed of this charactor is much larger than normal speed, we can consider that this player is hacking
ayrb13
Grunt
Grunt

by ayrb13 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:26 am

Speed checking is quite normal in other private servers
ayrb13
Grunt
Grunt

by Uzephi » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:31 am

ayrb13 wrote:
Zyfire wrote:
ayrb13 wrote:Screenshots are useless for checking, we can't see running speed of hackers from pictures. A video is hard to get while we are playing in BG. I think the best proof is game server logs.

Dude, logs aren't magic, you can't LOG if a player is hacking or not, if their Warden system does not see the player hacking, they won't have any logs of it happening.

At best what exists in logs are:
Chat messages for all chats
Auction house items
Commands used by players & GMs
perhaps a few more things.

Such a thing as a LOG to see if someone is hacking does not exist, sorry.

I think server can log some information such as position and timestamp of a charactor, then the speed can be calculated. If speed of this charactor is much larger than normal speed, we can consider that this player is hacking

You do know how big of a log file that would be, right? logging each character's movement over the course of a day when there are 3000-6000 players on average online at a time... Now imagine the computing and r/w to log that to a file. You think one or two crashes in a 30 hour span is bad, imagine how much it would increase with the wasted computing and r/w to the server's drives that would take up? Yes, speed checking is on the server, that is part of warden, but if they circumvent the check somehow, warden wouldn't pick it up.
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by ayrb13 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:26 am

Uzephi wrote:You do know how big of a log file that would be, right? logging each character's movement over the course of a day when there are 3000-6000 players on average online at a time... Now imagine the computing and r/w to log that to a file. You think one or two crashes in a 30 hour span is bad, imagine how much it would increase with the wasted computing and r/w to the server's drives that would take up? Yes, speed checking is on the server, that is part of warden, but if they circumvent the check somehow, warden wouldn't pick it up.

There's no need to log data for all online players, we can just log it for players in BG. Assume one-tenth of online players are playing in BG, there would not be much data. Position and time of a charactor only take up less than 20 bytes in LOG. If we log it once per second, there will be 20(record)*500(number in BG)*3600(seconds a hour)*24(hours a day) = 823MB data in a file and that is not very large for server. besides there is no need to solve it just in time, we can solve it once a day.
Well i'm not much good at programming, i just think that the solution above is feasible.
ayrb13
Grunt
Grunt

by ayrb13 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:29 am

I confess that there are some bugs above
ayrb13
Grunt
Grunt

Previous

Return to Support