We need a Database

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Re: We need a Database

by DeeMarie » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Most of us know where to go, what to farm, a database won't change that. The only difference will be people farming for that BiS 1.12.1 item they had on 'another private server' only to find that a) Those nice BiS stats are now agi on their cloth item or b) the item doesn't exist at all.

Implementing a DB would simply mean people don't have to scour wayback machine and allakazham and patch notes to see if that item is worth their time on Nos.

However, bearing in mind the work Nos has done on their pre 1.4 itemisation, a db would mean another competing server could datamine their work.
Nostalrused...
DeeMarie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ike » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:24 pm

DeeMarie wrote:Most of us know where to go, what to farm, a database won't change that. The only difference will be people farming for that BiS 1.12.1 item they had on 'another private server' only to find that a) Those nice BiS stats are now agi on their cloth item or b) the item doesn't exist at all.

So your argument is that idiots will be using it to be idiots? Having a database or not doesn't change the fact that there are idiots like that out there. It will, however, help ambitious players to min/max their gear as good as possible if they want to. You don't have to, if you don't want to. It's fairly narrow minded to deny people something just because you don't see any personal benefit in it.

DeeMarie wrote:Implementing a DB would simply mean people don't have to scour wayback machine and allakazham and patch notes to see if that item is worth their time on Nos.

The problem here is that we have no idea where they got the stats from and in what way they are going to use them, at least to my knowledge. Are they using wayback machine and allakazham's data? I hope so, since it's the only source we players have, but since it hasen't been disclosed we can't be certain. And that sucks, since people devote a big chunk of their time into this.

DeeMarie wrote:However, bearing in mind the work Nos has done on their pre 1.4 itemisation, a db would mean another competing server could datamine their work.

They can do that anyway. You can ask the server to send you item information using fairly simple addons (like AtlasLoot does, when you right-click an "unknown" item). Also, parsing NPC and quest information can be done by reading your clients .wdb files. The format of these files is known for years and programming some kind of "wdb-reader" will take less than 20 minutes (I've done it myself).
So no, I'm afraid this isn't a valid argument against a web-based database.
Ike
Sergeant
Sergeant

by azamous » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:56 pm

DeeMarie wrote:However, bearing in mind the work Nos has done on their pre 1.4 itemisation, a db would mean another competing server could datamine their work.

Agreed.

They don't HAVE to do anything, I personally hope that they sit back and watch the players figure it all out for themselves, if someone wants to create a database for the items they find then so be it, I think it'd be more fun if we all figured it out ourselves, though.
azamous
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Dexdrive » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:05 am

Only cause i don't like Germinoob i have to said : Nope.

ofc could be great, that's not because we've got a database that we are not going to feel like vanilla time.
Dexdrive
Tester

by Demigodd » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Drooppi wrote:Well I don't want to have that.

It makes me sick all those "olol you don't have [insert fancy piece of gear], your [insert slightly less fancy piece of gear] is shit, you're not raiding with us" while I'd still be in top dps... Screw the databases and people thinking their "calculations" will get them anywhere... If you're not too much of an ass you'll be able to figure out that farming the dungeons will get you to a good point, and asking your mates where they found their equipment kind of helps.

The fact of the matter is that math doesn't lie, crunching numbers is what some of us like to do oddly enough. I guarantee you I can do the math behind two peoples gear with the same skill and tell who will do more DPS.
If your playing with scrubs that don't know how to itemize, I wouldn't even really say rotations because vanilla is very limited in that, most DPS classes their max DPS is decided by their hit rating and other factors like this.

The fact of the matter is that math doesn't lie, crunching numbers is what some of us like to do oddly enough. I guarantee you I can do the math behind two peoples gear with the same skill and tell who will do more DPS.
If your playing with scrubs that don't know how to itemize, I wouldn't even really say rotations because vanilla is very limited in that, most DPS classes their max DPS is decided by their hit rating and other factors like this.
The main point I want to make is., if you don't want it don't use it. If the devs don't make it, players will. I just wanted to point out that number crunching is a big part of this game for allot of us and if my gear numbers are better, you wont out DPS me :-).
Demigodd
Tester

Previous

Return to Suggestions