Monster Spawns

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Re: Monster Spawns

by Netherfrost » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:03 pm

Except the point that it wasnt in vanilla I guess?)
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by TheLockKing » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:53 pm

I'm almost certain one of the other points was in Vanilla, and by that I mean a "spawn table" of sorts.

As OP pretty much nailed in his description, zones are drawn in a grid form with specified areas having hardcoded in the max number of spawns allowed within that area. If the max number is not met, the zone pulls up a kind of RNG table with specified enemy types that decides what will spawn to replace the missing spawn. This wasn't exactly groundbreaking tech as the system goes back to the early cRPGs of the 80s/90s. And it makes sense. Have you ever been frustrated and felt that quest mob isn't showing up on purpose? (*stares at Mulgore*)

This allows farmers to kind of "force" a spawn. By concentrating on killing the enemy types they don't want, they can effectively force what they DO to spawn after a while.

Now I know what you're thinking, and the answer is yes. This isn't the case for many important quest areas, such as the High Elf area in the Hinterlands. Specific enemies in these "mini dungeons" spawn at exact areas, as was intended. I assume it's to prevent a lot of frustration, which it does. The same goes for instanced content.
HORDE
Absyrtus - THE LOCK KING! Orcanite - Warsong Grunt Brahman - The Shaman
Aratoko - Boomkin Piece a' Shit

ALLIANCE
Estrad - Warrior of the World Casamir - That's a Paladin Chryses - Pretty Fly for a Rabbi
Blasius - M. A. G. E.
TheLockKing
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by mrmr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 pm

What TheLockKing is referring to is called "pooling".
At every spawn-point (these are "fixed") can be assign a "pool" of creature-types.
When a new spawn is needed (aka, when the spawn-point timer reaches zero...and I guess this could be RNG too), RNG decides which creature-type, from the creature-pool of the spawn-point.

This system should be already available in modern mangoszero and cmangos cores.
It just requires "DB work".
Anyway, this system has nothing to do with the "Blizzard dynamic spawn rates" system.
I think "pooling" cannot change the spawn-point-timer.
I'm not root of myself.
mrmr
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Donkey » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:01 pm

mrmr wrote:I'm pretty sure hunters were wearing plate during retail release, at least initially.

:P

Warlocks were wearing leather in beta, druids had spears, and rogues had axes, oh and cows didn't had mounts they had plain striding....

Iosephus wrote:I'm pretty sure spawn timers were increased during retail release, at least initially. The Burning Blade cave in the starting zone spawned ridiculously fast, people were getting wrecked and Tiragarde Keep was pretty hectic. I had to wait for some guildmates before I went in the keep because they'd respawn in like 20 seconds.

The spawn timers were increased several times, especially for stupid name mobs. Starting zones tended to have more mobs on "fast spawn timer" than normal spawn timers, not sure if the aggro mechanics for spawns are also implemented in Nost since mobs that spawned in Vanilla had 5-10 seconds of no aggro on players already within their aggro range straight after spawn.

But yeah dynamic mob spawning isn't a bad idea, Blizzard made allot of improvements over the years and while Vanilla was great it had quite a bit of drawbacks. During the initial release window i don't think many players will appreciate the old 15min spawn timers.
Donkey
Tester

by TheLockKing » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:07 pm

Don't lie, Leather Locks woulda made way more sense (DnD roots, baby! Locks can wear leather and cast perfectly fine with a certain feat/character kit). Plus we'd be able to wear more hood looking items.
Last edited by TheLockKing on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
HORDE

ALLIANCE
Estrad - Warrior of the World Casamir - That's a Paladin Chryses - Pretty Fly for a Rabbi
Blasius - M. A. G. E.
TheLockKing
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Donkey » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:51 am

Why lie? the warlock was initially designed as the anti-mage class, they were a medium armor class, heck some leather items with shadow damage remained throughout vanilla in dungeons :P
Donkey
Tester

by Hatson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:01 am

Donkey wrote:Why lie? the warlock was initially designed as the anti-mage class, they were a medium armor class, heck some leather items with shadow damage remained throughout vanilla in dungeons :P

Can you give me some example or those items? I don't remember leather with shadow damage.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by TheLockKing » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:15 am

Exactly. Shoulda kept that from the beta (if it were true), gave Priests shields (clerics, bitches), and made Balance not bleh and we'd have been even better.

>.> <.< Bonus points if there was some system for Priests and Paladins that made them have to keep favor with their racial "church" or "order" to keep abilities at peak. But that'd be kinda crazy mechanically and people'd either get really pissed or just not play those classes because a mechanic that basically revolved around roleplaying of sorts dictated their effectiveness.
HORDE

ALLIANCE
Blasius - M. A. G. E.
TheLockKing
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Previous

Return to Suggestions