Balance of factions

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Re: Balance of factions

by Netherfrost » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:40 pm

Seems like theres very few who actually have theorycrafted on the PvE side, most seem to just throw whatever guess they might have here and there. Wont go into details but it seems theres one major point which most seem to miss. Threat. Due to todays knowledge of the game, especially horde warlocks & warriors( together with mages past bwl) will be threat capped throughout the entire game, meaning, they cant do the dps which theyre actually capable of, and thus this hurts the horde side a lot. Salvation, raises the threat cap by up to ~45% in some cases, and ultimately removing the cap in most given scenarios.
Last edited by Netherfrost on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Drain » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:34 pm

We've had this kind of discussion before. This is not something you have to worry about or try to correct. Both factions will inevitably have guilds doing content. It doesn't matter if one faction has twice as many as the other. Your raid of 40 people can still do content, even if the other side has 200 divided up between 5 different raids. Is recruitment and slot filling easier on the bigger faction? Yes. But that'll also make players feel more expendable and less important, and they'll be more prone to being booted or replaced since more people are easily available. But it's inevitable that both factions on any realm, regardless of size, will have some guilds doing content for you to join. Your reputation is more important on a smaller server/faction, but it doesn't matter. You'll either keep it clean, or wreck it, one way or the other.

For PvP though... you actually benefit from the smaller side. For one thing, you'll find more people to kill out in the world. Having to hunt all day only to find 1 guy to kill, then feeling guilty when you milk him for all he's worth as a result, isn't as fun or profitable as finding fresh enemies every time you turn around.

Then you have BGs. Being on the smaller faction, which I was as Horde back in Classic, was always more fun. We got instant BG pops whenever we wanted to enter, and never had to wait in queue for slots. The bigger faction has to wait for slots or more players from the smaller faction to queue up. The smaller faction can basically just sign up and fight whenever it wants. Alliance was the bigger faction on most realms throughout Classic, so we Horde got more enjoyment out of BGs. You hit the button, you get an invite. Alliance however, on those realms, had to wait for slots. I do hope however that Nostalrius properly scripts its BGs so that it doesn't allow more players in for the bigger faction until the smaller one catches up. I believe the game should cease handing out tickets to the bigger side until the smaller one catches up to a 1:1 ratio.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Drain » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Netherfrost wrote:Seems like theres very few who actually have theorycrafted on the PvE side, most seem to just throw whatever guess they might have here and there. Wont go into details but it seems theres one major point which everyone seem to miss. Threat. Due to todays knowledge of the game, especially horde warlocks & warriors( together with mages past bwl) will be threat capped throughout the entire game, meaning, they cant do the dps which theyre actually capable of, and thus this hurts the horde side a lot. Salvation, raises the threat cap by up to ~45% in some cases, and ultimately removing the cap in most given scenarios.

This is just another reason why Alliance was the better faction back then. Paladins rocked. Shamans... not so much. You also got the Fear Ward, which made some fights unfairly easier for Alliance than Horde. No other Priest racial spell has this kind of effect on difficulty for a fight. Blizzard eventually fixed these issues by giving us Paladin, giving Shaman Bloodlust(something finally valuable to a raid), and giving Fear Ward to every Priest race. These are all BC changes, and is partly why that is the best era for WoW. But I still prefer Horde as it has my favorite races. I'm not too concerned with end game superiority or min/maxing performance. If I roll a Warrior, it'll no doubt be an Orc.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Hatson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Netherfrost. I mentioned that topic specifically in my posts, and I even posted a video discussing exactly what you said.
I'm aware you might have been talking about the others, but I did talk about exactly what you said "everyone forgot".
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Netherfrost » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:59 pm

I just skimmed it, I must've missed it, my apologies :)
Netherfrost
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by mbf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:14 pm

When one of factions dominates thats not blizzlike? srsly stop discussing shit... It may happen that 1 faction dominates today but after some time dominates another one.
mbf
Grunt
Grunt

by Moxey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Servers will never be balanced. If you want to help the situation go play alliance, thats what im doing.
Being the underdog is more fun anyway.
Moxey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Enrage » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:27 pm

Moxey wrote:Servers will never be balanced. If you want to help the situation go play alliance, thats what im doing.
Being the underdog is more fun anyway.

Alliance players were doing pretty fine in Warsong ! If we weren't 5rogues so many times ... :lol: :lol:
Beta tester: Ybric Mage // Troiskwet Warrior // Enrage Rogue
Enrage
Grunt
Grunt

by Arakarahm » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:43 pm

@mbf your comment is useless if it's just to say "srsly stop discussing shit" you are asked to respect the opinions of others and the discussions or say nothing.

ps: I gave my opinions for balancing I would come if necessary once the server startup.
You are all invited to share your opinion with respect.
Arakarahm
Private
Private

by Kerfilicious » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:43 pm

I'm pretty sure that the balance between factions will start to balance itself out as the server goes live and people start to settle in. The difference between Shamans and Paladins are enough to really differentiate the way the two factions operate, both in terms of PvE and PvP.

As people these days tend to spend their times in queues, few actually look up at the surroundings, and I am pretty sure that some people suddenly realizes that brown isn't their colour, if you know what I mean?

Secondly, I myself are completely in love with the undead animations, but as gameplay is key in vanilla, changing faction is not out of the question. To enjoy this game, you really gotta be ready to take one for the team.

Worry not friend, we are a lot of fans here and I am 100% confident things will sort itself out in due time. :)

As they said once upon a fullmoon, "beta is beta".

EDIT: I also vaguely remember talks about how Horde got shafted when it came to streamlined leveling. It was basically just more fun to level as alliance. More varied zones, lighter colours, and just in general a lighter atmosphere. Opinions though, not claiming it to be facts, just to be clear. :D
Kerfilicious
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions