Community driven websites

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Community driven websites

by livinglegendxD » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:07 pm

After playing on a handful of private servers I have noticed that some have been open and others completely shutting down of supporting of community driven websites. One of the most controversial I have seen is the flack that http://realmplayers.com got. It was a great website created by a player that played on the realm and was shunned by the server it was created for. Which leads to my question of what is the stance of Nostalrius staff when it comes to community/player driven websites?

Thanks
livinglegendxD
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Community driven websites

by Nain » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Realmplayers only had issues because of Feenix's sense of entitlement.

On another note, I say that Realmplayers should be banned here.

While the armory feature is fine, I believe that the Raid Stats area of the site, that tryhards have brought to other servers, will cause a gaming scene on the Nostalrius server that's unsuitable for vanilla raiding.

Having players compared in the way which RealmPlayers provides pollute raiding, and create ann inappropriate environment

People might not see eye to eye with me, but if Nostalrius is going to honour its progression timeline, I think that the competition players should aim for should be in progression, gear, PvP, dominance over world bosses, and other merits, instead of trivial Raid Stats which shouldn't exist.

You can argue that people can just not participate in it if they don't like it, but I don't like seeing people dick-swinging over stupid shit like meter comparisons, I'd rather have the proper kind of dick-swinging.
† Nain now rests in the arms of our lord. He died a sickly infant at the age of 3 months and 24 days. †
Nain
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by livinglegendxD » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:51 pm

So you don't want it because you could never compete? Gotcha noted.
livinglegendxD
Grunt
Grunt

by ironsides » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:51 pm

livinglegendxD wrote:So you don't want it because you could never compete? Gotcha noted.

gonna be too busy slayin you lesser nerds in pvp to give a shit about killin monsters 10 seconds faster LMAO
Shoot for the moon, and if you miss you'll hit the stars <3
ironsides
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Guirssane » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:11 am

livinglegendxD wrote:So you don't want it because you could never compete? Gotcha noted.

It's not his point and you know It
Guirssane
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by TheLockKing » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:26 am

Meh, as long as it's something simple as Most honor kills, most daily HK, most honor, most daily honor (remember, Honor and HK are different.), fastest time for X Dungeon and Raid (with all members who participated), and a few others then I see no real problem with it.
HORDE
Absyrtus - THE LOCK KING! Orcanite - Warsong Grunt Brahman - The Shaman
Aratoko - Boomkin Piece a' Shit

ALLIANCE
Estrad - Warrior of the World Casamir - That's a Paladin Chryses - Pretty Fly for a Rabbi
Blasius - M. A. G. E.
TheLockKing
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Sethzer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:59 am

Nain wrote:Realmplayers only had issues because of Feenix's sense of entitlement.

While the armory feature is fine, I believe that the Raid Stats area of the site, that tryhards have brought to other servers, will cause a gaming scene on the Nostalrius server that's unsuitable for vanilla raiding.

Having players compared in the way which RealmPlayers provides pollute raiding, and create ann inappropriate environment

People might not see eye to eye with me, but if Nostalrius is going to honour its progression timeline, I think that the competition players should aim for should be in progression, gear, PvP, dominance over world bosses, and other merits, instead of trivial Raid Stats which shouldn't exist.

You can argue that people can just not participate in it if they don't like it, but I don't like seeing people dick-swinging over stupid shit like meter comparisons, I'd rather have the proper kind of dick-swinging.

Realmplayers was only banned on their forums because they "demanded" that we backlinked to their project on our frontpage to sorta give them an exclusive unofficial product of an armory/pvp-ranking website (which is what we had at the time). However they were very demanding and rude in their approach and once their approach was questioned they decided to refuse Realmplayers to be mentioned on their forums by applying filters to it. That seemed to backfire on them however as the amount of contribution requests increased alot and today I get multiple contacts daily on our forum of people who ask to be contributors despite not having any advertising for it in any way or form.

I remember when the WoW armory came in mid-TBC and also that was the time when the early combat logs started to show. There were some people like yourself who protested, both for fear of increased elitism and also for privacy, but those who disliked these new interactive ways (both official and un-official) were so small and few that it had no impact on these features being used and shared freely.
Raidstats was a feature requested very early by multiple guilds on Emerald Dream after the website went live and Dilatazu believed he could be able to make something out. Today most raiding guilds on Emerald Dream and Warsong have atleast one contributor and even a guild like Monitor on Emerald Dream(with the language barrier of a chinese guild) and some other chinese guild on Warsong had a guy ask me to be a contributor. We had no plan to add raidstats but it became popular and most people who ask me to be a contributor do ask because they want to provide logs for their guild or raids in general of guild or pug.
My point is that there will always be someone who will dislike a specific service/addition to a game and wants it removed or banned from being mentioned.
I respect your opinion and maybe others will feel with you. In the end it's up to the devs and staff of Nostalrius on what they will do regarding Realmplayers. We will support it regardless with full support of both armory and raidstats as soon as the server goes live and people are more than welcome to be contributors if they want.

Anyways it wasn't just us whom was given rough treatment. I remember Team Plague website and other guild websites was also warned to backlink to their project or face consequences of linking websites that do not backlink to feenix. Hopefully Nostalrius won't ever go that far on just normal guild websites just because its linked in their recruitment threads.
Sethzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Nain » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:28 am

Sethzer wrote:Raidstats was a feature requested very early by multiple guilds on Emerald Dream

No shit, that server hadn't been progressing 1 bit.

I'm going to camp the shit out of you.
† Nain now rests in the arms of our lord. He died a sickly infant at the age of 3 months and 24 days. †
Nain
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Zhen » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:19 am

Nain wrote:
I'm going to camp the shit out of you.

Times don't change i guess :lol: .
Zhen
Private
Private

by Caitlin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:21 am

Nain wrote:Realmplayers only had issues because of Feenix's sense of entitlement.

"Gun don't kill people, people kill people."

Realmplayers was only ever just a tool, a very useful one. If people use it wrong that isn't the creators faults, it's those players fault for being immature and/or irresponsibility. If guilds can't control their players, not Realmplayers fault.
Caitlin
Private
Private

Next

Return to Suggestions