FIX BLADE FLURRY

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Re: FIX BLADE FLURRY

by Dr. Doom » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Robotron wrote:This might be unrelated due to the time it occurred, but it disputes the above theory: In Cataclysm, there was a fight called Halfus Wyrmbreaker. When you killed adds, Halfus would take increased damage (50% or 100% per add killed). You would attack Halfus, activate Blade Flurry, deal double/triple damage to him, and your Blade Flurry would also deal double/triple damage to any remaining adds. If you cleaved off the adds, only Halfus would take the increased damage.

I was prompted to research by this, and the data I've found agrees with you. I was wrong most likely:

http://forums.elitistjerks.com/forums/t ... g-strikes/
Posted 3 Oct 2006

Afaik, any damage multipliers pull double duty on Sweeping Strikes. Let's say Warrior X normally crits MS for 1.5K. He has +30% damage though, so he crits for 1.95k instead. The sweeping strikes then hit for 1.8 instead of the normal 1.5, but the +30% damage is applied again, so the total sweeping strikes damage is 2.5

Edit: This is also why people do ridiculous amounts of damage with eg Blade Flurry when they get MC'd on fights where you get multipliers from being MC'd.

This is exactly it. Sweeping Strikes and Blade Flurry perform a second attack equal in base damage to your first one before armor, but after multipliers and crits. The second attack is then modified by damage multipliers and the new target's armor. Enrage + Berserking combos make for some sick numbers.

Which matches information posted in January 2007, right by the time BC launched.

(( The only documented change between the vanilla post 1.10 Blade Flurry (when second target's armor was added to the formula) and the date of this revision, was this one:

TBC Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Preparation no longer resets the cooldown of Blade Flurry.

Irrelevant in what pertains to the damage calculation. ))

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Blade_Flurry?oldid=436124
Revision as of 08:36, January 21, 2007

If the attack on the primary target deals a critical hit, the replicated damage on the secondary target is also a critical. However, the armor rating of the second target will mitigate the damage.

Attacks like Gouge and Kidney Shot will deal damage to the second opponent, but without replicating the stun effect.

I proceeded to confirm what you said about the Bastion of Twilight boss.
http://bloodlines.xsbb.nl/viewtopic.php?t=50
They will deal extra damage, because of Dragon's Vengeance. Fire Mages can then spread high damage DoTs from Halfus to nearby targets (on which they will do the same amount of damage) using Impact. Similarly, Combat Rogues can use Blade Flurry to strike nearby enemies for the amount of damage they deal to Halfus.

I also researched all the patch history of Blade Flurry from 1.3 to WoD, and the difference between the Cata version and the vanilla version, although notorious, doesn't include a change in second target base damage.

Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Many class talents, spells, and abilities have been overhauled, added, or removed.

Blade Flurry now is learned immediately when you specialize in the Combat tree (was a 5th rank talent requiring 20 points), now costs no energy (was 25 energy), now has a cooldown of 30 seconds (was 2 minutes), now has an energy regeneration penalty of 20% (none previously), and now no longer increases attack speed by 20% (this is now part of Adrenaline Rush).

The 2006 ElitistJerks explanation does match the behaviour of Blade Flurry during the fight with Halfus Wymrbreaker, and it goes like this:

The base damage for the 2nd target includes damage multipliers and crit RNG operated during the attack on the first target, but without the armor being factored in.

Given that attacking Halfus Wyrmbreaker first adds a +100% damage increase to your swings, the base damage used to calculate the actual damage on his proto-behemoth/drakes also includes this increase, which is then matched against the second target's armor. Futhermore, if the swing against Halfus Wymbreaker was a crit, the Blade Flurry mirror damage would necessarily be a crit as well, on top of the +100% damage bonus.

The case is explained, and the theory matches all comments and links on the topic.

If Murder is understood as a damage multiplier on top of the base damage, then Youfie's theory is not only correct but also blizzlike. In fact, your very own idea regarding Blade Flurry + WSG/AB Berserker is absolutely feasible and was the very reason why the ElitistJerks thread was opened.

------------------------------------------
Side note:

One thing to note though, is that vanilla Blade Flurry should do no damage to the 2nd target, if the first target absorbed/received no damage:

Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25): This ability will now do damage to secondary targets when the primary target takes no damage due to a damage shield (such as Power Word: Shield).

Meaning it didn't happen prior to 2.2.0
Last edited by Dr. Doom on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Dr. Doom » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:12 pm

Theloras wrote:
orly?

First off, spare me the whatsapp, meme based, high school text message lingo. We are slightly, and by slightly I mean very, old for this kind of teenagey stuff.

Second, have the decency to quote complete sentences with their context, not cropped and trying to make me say something I didn't.

This is what I said:
Nobody in this thread is going to your retri bugs thread to talk about blade flurry, or sweeping strikes, or flurry, or windfury, or any other class bugs.

So I just went there, checked every single one of the 183 posts spread over the 19 pages to see if anyone was trying to hijack the thread, like you did here, with the bugs related to other class, and just as I expected: Nobody did. All posts made there, including the 4 or so I did myself, are entirely related to paladins.
So, no I'm not lying and I deeply resent being called a liar for no bloody reason.

If you can't get over this extremely immature fixation over a video game class, somehow tying your own tamtrums and emotional swings to how much/how little are paladins discussed, that's fine. But at least keep that on the threads that deal with paladins, just like people who do the same with rogues, warriors, hunters or any other of the different candy flavours of WoW do.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Youfie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:34 pm

My friands, it's been an honor to play with a bugged Blade Flurry until the end.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Aslan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:36 pm

Scar - Endurance
Aslan - The tales of a Shaman...
Raid streams; As soon as the lag is adjusted (rip)
http://www.twitch.tv/scarnostalrius
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Theoloras » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:37 pm

Dr. Doom wrote:
Theloras wrote:
orly?

First off, spare me the whatsapp, meme based, high school text message lingo. We are slightly, and by slightly I mean very, old for this kind of teenagey stuff.

Second, have the decency to quote complete sentences with their context, not cropped and trying to make me say something I didn't.

This is what I said:
Nobody in this thread is going to your retri bugs thread to talk about blade flurry, or sweeping strikes, or flurry, or windfury, or any other class bugs.

So I just went there, checked every single one of the 183 posts spread over the 19 pages to see if anyone was trying to hijack the thread, like you did here, with the bugs related to other class, and just as I expected: Nobody did. All posts made there, including the 4 or so I did myself, are entirely related to paladins.
So, no I'm not lying and I deeply resent being called a liar for no bloody reason.

If you can't get over this extremely immature fixation over a video game class, somehow tying your own tamtrums and emotional swings to how much/how little are paladins discussed, that's fine. But at least keep that on the threads that deal with paladins, just like people who do the same with rogues, warriors, hunters or any other of the different candy flavours of WoW do.

lawl
Theoloras
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Soyoen » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:40 pm

Youfie wrote:My friands, it's been an honor to play with a bugged Blade Flurry until the end.

Aslan wrote:Didnt need fixed blade flurry to rape the last raid night anyway
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidO ... Raid=38012
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidO ... Raid=38009
/salute

If I will ever have any regrets about my time commitment to vanilla wow then it would be not having raided together with the two of you.

On topic: From the moment I skilled Blade Flurry during the leveling phase I have at a constant hated how much of a lackluster the ability was in comparison to what it could be. May this bug rot in the deepest pit of hell :D
RogueDPS Reborn spreadsheet

Thinking about playing rogue, or actively playing? Check out the rogue boards for the essentials of the rogue class - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24235
Soyoen
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Noxm » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:42 pm

Rip bladefurry :)
Nostalrius PvP -
Noxm - <Core Raider of Emphasis>
Alt : Noxmk - Noxmq
Noxm
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Aslan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:11 am

Soyoen wrote:
Youfie wrote:My friands, it's been an honor to play with a bugged Blade Flurry until the end.

/salute

If I will ever have any regrets about my time commitment to vanilla wow then it would be not having raided together with the two of you.

On topic: From the moment I skilled Blade Flurry during the leveling phase I have at a constant hated how much of a lackluster the ability was in comparison to what it could be. May this bug rot in the deepest pit of hell :D

Im pretty sure I dropped my pants and my windfury for you in Hive for a couple of weeks back on ED <3.
Scar - Endurance
Aslan - The tales of a Shaman...
Raid streams; As soon as the lag is adjusted (rip)
http://www.twitch.tv/scarnostalrius
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Soyoen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:28 am

Aslan wrote:
Soyoen wrote:

/salute

Im pretty sure I dropped my pants and my windfury for you in Hive for a couple of weeks back on ED <3.

I'm pretty sure you did, but I meant as rogues <3 :D
RogueDPS Reborn spreadsheet

Thinking about playing rogue, or actively playing? Check out the rogue boards for the essentials of the rogue class - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24235
Soyoen
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Youfie » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:29 am

Oups, meant friends, not friands, damn auto-correct.

@ Aslan: maybe in TBC sometime (and maybe with even a Blizz-like Blade Flurry there!) ;).
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions