Don't Release the DB - ONLY the Mangos core

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Re: Don't Release the DB - ONLY the Mangos core

by ENDIES » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:02 am

Hilo wrote:There's no point in releasing the core source code without the database and scripts. That essentially is the game. The core is just some modified version of MaNGOS most likely, and there are already plenty of versions of that available for the choosing.

If the developers truly stand behind their statement to the effect that they want to see this project they put so much time and love into continue beyond them then the only option is to release it all, otherwise Nostalrius will truly be dead.

Throttling the DB and scripts (or keeping them secret) only serves to hold back further development, and will most likely result in the eventual loss of that data forever. Or, worse yet, the manipulation, control, and profiteering of that data.

We've already seen the damage that is caused when only one entity controls the dissemination of information. If Blizzard hadn't been so tight-fisted with their Intellectual Property, Nostalrius would still be going strong. Their overbearing "ownership" of a product they don't even provide anymore is what has led to this moment.

Will there be a bunch of half-assed, poorly developed and maintained servers that sprout up using the data provided? You betcha! But those that lack spark and vision will pass away soon enough. They always do.

If the spirit of Nostalrius is going to survive then it has to be spread far and wide, so far and so wide that nothing can stop it from reappearing and hopefully improving. It needs to be like a Hydra. Cut off one head and seven more grow back in it's place. As long as control of everything is limited then it can be destroyed and lost.

Note: I said Mangos repack/core, this include Mangos and the scripts.
Either way, since yesterday's announcement from Viper http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43600
"you will have to explicitly choose to have your personal information included on the public data release if you wish so"

I doubt even 10% of the community will opt in, considering how many read the forums... Looks like the database will be missing most of user information and existing characters.

Either Blizzard listens to our petition, or it's back to the start guys.
ENDIES
Tester

by Silverbeast » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:33 am

The only way to save the Nost legacy and most of the playerbase is create a Nost 2.0. It can happen by the former Nostalrius staff if Blizz give them answer (and rights, maybe licence) or they give the player database a reliable and "wothy" successor. That successor then maybe hire the former staff members (or some of them) if they want to continue their work, because I hate to left something unfinished, and I created my toon to relive AQ40 and Naxx, and I dont want to lost my 1 year progress here. Thats my opinion, but Im sure some of the developers feels that way too.

So the only task - and not a small one I admit - left is to find a successor, if Blizz dont give an answer (that we hope for) until april 30.
Silverbeast
Private
Private

by ENDIES » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:20 am

Silverbeast wrote:The only way to save the Nost legacy and most of the playerbase is create a Nost 2.0. It can happen by the former Nostalrius staff if Blizz give them answer (and rights, maybe licence) or they give the player database a reliable and "wothy" successor. That successor then maybe hire the former staff members (or some of them) if they want to continue their work, because I hate to left something unfinished, and I created my toon to relive AQ40 and Naxx, and I dont want to lost my 1 year progress here. Thats my opinion, but Im sure some of the developers feels that way too.

So the only task - and not a small one I admit - left is to find a successor, if Blizz dont give an answer (that we hope for) until april 30.

This would be good.. However I'm certain the Nostalrius developers don't want to be affiliated with future servers.
If Nostalrius decided to host servers elsewhere (Russia/Switzerland), they could face personal liabilities which extend further then the hosting provider.

But like you said, the only chance left is if Blizzard let's Nostalrius continue development.
ENDIES
Tester

Previous

Return to Suggestions