Will Tauren have it easier on opening day?

Discussion forum related to PVE Server.

Re: Will Tauren have it easier on opening day?

by squishums » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:25 am

Fewer people in the zone and more mobs to grind will definitely have an effect, but the type of quests available in mulgore will have an even greater effect.

Most quests will be harder to do with tonnes of people around. Gather and kill quests will be hard, especially when the mobs are all located in a very small area.

Some quests will be easier though. Quests where you need to fight your way to a specific location will actually be FASTER with huge populations. Quests where you need to kill a single specific mob/elite will be annoying because of the population, but they will be doable from a lower level if you have the patience to wait in a 5man group to try to tag it first.

Mulgore (especially 6-12), has a huge amount of location quests which will be faster with the huge population. Rights of the Earthmother, Cleansing Wells, Venture Caravan, etc. Mulgore's "boss" quest (Fitsproket) rewards weapons, which makes it worthwhile to finish early and supercharge your leveling. Mulgore has a lot of gather quests, but the mobs are spread so evenly across the entire zone that it should not be as bad as some gather quests will be.

So yes, I think Tauren will have it easier on opening day.

I have a theory though that the fastest possible leveling will be to roll a troll/orc. After getting a few levels in durotar (specifically targeting the "location" quests (pick axe, centaur plans, mishna's skull), you swin to rachet. You get all the barrens flight paths on your way, and then take advantage of mulgore. The transit time is not wasted, because you will make that transit eventually anyway.
squishums
Private
Private

by Larsen » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:01 pm

squishums wrote:I have a theory though that the fastest possible leveling will be to roll a troll/orc. After getting a few levels in durotar (specifically targeting the "location" quests (pick axe, centaur plans, mishna's skull), you swin to rachet. You get all the barrens flight paths on your way, and then take advantage of mulgore. The transit time is not wasted, because you will make that transit eventually anyway.

That probably won't be worthwhile. The key to getting a good start is to get ahead of the curve. What happens is 75% of the server will be around the same level and it'll be a nightmare to get stuck in that blob of people. Instead, if you can get just a few steps ahead, things get a lot better. It's the difference between having to compete with three other people for a collect quest, or thirty other people. This advantage snowballs as those stuck in the middle of the curve level more slowly, and you can end up multiple levels ahead with the same time played if you just give yourself the optimal start. Spending 40 minutes running to Mulgore will ensure that you don't get ahead.
Larsen
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Amelissan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:37 pm

I really shouldn't say that but on the the contrary of undeads being the majority of the races in the Horde, silverpine forest is 'the' leveling area for horde 10-20 (you can even make it 8 or so if you are willing to grind a bit).

Since there is an amazing obsession of leveling in barrens and even undeads go with it, SF will be much less populated than the barrens and you will be able to find soft spots for grinding if you are interested in.

However there is a constraint, as a hunter or shaman you have to level in barrens still since the trips for class trainers will be unbearable. ( druids may still use moonglade-hs).

If i werent considering a hunter i would really storm out to the UD zones as soon as i hit level 7-8.

Just an advice, you may give it a shot.
Amelissan
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Larsen » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:47 pm

amazing obsession of leveling in barrens

It's because that's what Joana's leveling guide says.
Larsen
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Battlepug » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Also, unless you are willing to grind SF will not be able to sustain uninterrupted leveling 12 - 20. Barrens is just superior but overcrowded. With SP you can try and evade 12-17 barrens craze, but I would just try and stay ahead of the people.
Battlepug
Grunt
Grunt

by generalhavok » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:52 pm

So the Launch is this weekend for the PvE Server, or did I misunderstand?
generalhavok
Tester

by Amelissan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:35 pm

Battlepug wrote:Also, unless you are willing to grind SF will not be able to sustain uninterrupted leveling 12 - 20. Barrens is just superior but overcrowded. With SP you can try and evade 12-17 barrens craze, but I would just try and stay ahead of the people.

Tried SF twice worked twice (troll and a tauren).. Lots of quests minimum amount of players.. And the best part of is the travel time between quests. Just an advice tho.
Amelissan
Sergeant
Sergeant

by squishums » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Larsen wrote:
squishums wrote:I have a theory though that the fastest possible leveling will be to roll a troll/orc. After getting a few levels in durotar (specifically targeting the "location" quests (pick axe, centaur plans, mishna's skull), you swin to rachet. You get all the barrens flight paths on your way, and then take advantage of mulgore. The transit time is not wasted, because you will make that transit eventually anyway.

That probably won't be worthwhile. The key to getting a good start is to get ahead of the curve. What happens is 75% of the server will be around the same level and it'll be a nightmare to get stuck in that blob of people. Instead, if you can get just a few steps ahead, things get a lot better. It's the difference between having to compete with three other people for a collect quest, or thirty other people. This advantage snowballs as those stuck in the middle of the curve level more slowly, and you can end up multiple levels ahead with the same time played if you just give yourself the optimal start. Spending 40 minutes running to Mulgore will ensure that you don't get ahead.

I know what you mean, but I dont think you will be able to "get ahead of the curve" much until you actually leave the original 1-12 zone. The whole place will be full. Even if you are level 10 fast, you will still be competing with level 6s. The Barrens is where you can actually start getting ahead, and by then the 30 minutes you wasted running will be refunded to you because you get to fly there.

By the time everyone has every flightpath (tb, 3 in the barrens and org), you will have actually saved time, because you got the Org flightpath without ever going anywhere near it.

I tested this last night, and was level 12 in XR with all my flightpaths at 3h35m. I think Joana's guide takes more than 5 hours, but he is on a new server thats busier than Nost-pvp, and has some really timeconsuming hunter quests.
squishums
Private
Private

by Battlepug » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:57 pm

Amelissan wrote:
Battlepug wrote:Also, unless you are willing to grind SF will not be able to sustain uninterrupted leveling 12 - 20. Barrens is just superior but overcrowded. With SP you can try and evade 12-17 barrens craze, but I would just try and stay ahead of the people.

Tried SF twice worked twice (troll and a tauren).. Lots of quests minimum amount of players.. And the best part of is the travel time between quests. Just an advice tho.

Did SF too, good enough. But if you are rushing - barrens is more efficient, if you make some route planning or just use a guide
Battlepug
Grunt
Grunt

by Dilophosaurus » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Dun Morogh will be hell. Trying to imagine the queue for Felix's supplies...
Fast and bulbous.
Dilophosaurus
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to PVE Server Specific discussion