Why are there no tanks?

Discussion forum related to PVE Server.

Re: Why are there no tanks?

by Dr. Doom » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:34 pm

Ashergi wrote:Why put that many points into prot at all? Seriously though. Sunder Armor does more threat than any other ability in the game. I thought that prot warriors only needed to use that, endless rage, and last stand or whatever other survival cooldowns. All you really need to get in that tree is last stand, and maybe imp. sunder and imp. taunt.

All any sissy "no, but I'm a DPS warrior, and a special snowflake" needs is a shield, to pop defensive stance, and quit being a wuss.

For what I've read, in retail vanilla it was fairly common for warriors to simply get 11 points in protection for last stand and then just go arms or fury and then tank, so you're right there. This server is unusual in many ways, this being just yet another point.

Btw Endless Rage was a 41-point talent in TBC, doesn't exist in vanilla since all rage gain here works prior to normalisation.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Dr. Doom » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:45 pm

zmandude24 wrote:These are a few of the reasons why there are is a tank shortage for 5 mans:
  1. Raids only take roughly 3 full time tanks to raids. This means if there was a proportionate amount of tanks for each 5 man, over half will be forced to go fury.
  2. You are almost guaranteed to have at least one dps that doesn't know to wait for aggro. For a new player, tanking is not easy to learn to begin with and tard dps make this much worse.
  3. Druid and Pally tanks will have trouble getting into a group that lets them roll on the preBiS healing gear they will need in raids.

Agreed on all accounts, there's actually too many tanks when it really comes down to it.
On top of all the reasons you listed, I think the PvP part I mentioned does play a role. DPS specs, even if PvE oriented can hold their ground decently when ganks happen or in battlegrounds. Won't be optimal, sure, but the dmg output is still there. So long as the person behind the character isn't some backpeddler with terrible reflexes (as a fair deal of PvE-only hunters are I've come to notice), they can do alright.

Healer specs, even if focused on PvE can definitely help in PvP. Granted, maybe they didn't spec as heavily in instants, incoming dmg reduction, or so on, but they can still dish out useful heals for their teams.

PvE tanks are just... well, suffice is to say that when I run into another protection warrior in a battleground, one that is using defence gear and is quite noticeably a PvE prot spec with about half his talents wasted for PvP (Defiance, Imp Taunt, Imp Sunder, Anticipation), I can sometimes discombombulate him, and will take something like 5% hp dmg over 10 seconds if I dont attack him.

Who wants to be in that humiliating position?
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Niarro » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:33 pm

I guess not everyone that rolls a class that can tank enjoys tanking, maybe? I think it's been a pretty consistent thing that people like DPSing and mashing those buttons for big numbers.

Spec isn't an issue up until raiding at 60. (Thinking from a warrior's perspective here) You can tank instances while leveling and at 60 with any spec, with sword and board, just fine. So not being prot isn't a good reason to NOT tank instances.

But I guess that goes back to, not everyone wants to, and not everyone feels like they can, I guess.
Niarro
Tester

by Nafro » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:12 pm

Just about every leveling dungeon group I have been in has had AT LEAST 1 DPS Warrior. Yet finding a tank for a leveling dungeon can be a nightmare. Why? I don't know. Maybe tanking is too much resposibility? Probably the same reason that even thought I am specced enhanced, when I jump into a dungeon group to heal, there is usually at least 1 shaman that will only DPS.

I honestly think many people are scared to heal/tank, cuz the responsibility is much higher.
Nafro
Private
Private

by Dr. Doom » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Nafro wrote:Just about every leveling dungeon group I have been in has had AT LEAST 1 DPS Warrior. Yet finding a tank for a leveling dungeon can be a nightmare. Why? I don't know. Maybe tanking is too much resposibility? Probably the same reason that even thought I am specced enhanced, when I jump into a dungeon group to heal, there is usually at least 1 shaman that will only DPS.

I honestly think many people are scared to heal/tank, cuz the responsibility is much higher.

Probably so.
Ironically I really prefer to heal and tank as opposed to dps. Specially in the levelling dungeons, dpsing can really go into 'brain afk' mode as some people say here, and it still works mostly fine, so it's less entertaining to me.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Nafro » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:16 pm

Dr. Doom wrote:
Nafro wrote:Just about every leveling dungeon group I have been in has had AT LEAST 1 DPS Warrior. Yet finding a tank for a leveling dungeon can be a nightmare. Why? I don't know. Maybe tanking is too much resposibility? Probably the same reason that even thought I am specced enhanced, when I jump into a dungeon group to heal, there is usually at least 1 shaman that will only DPS.

Probably so.
Ironically I really prefer to heal and tank as opposed to dps. Specially in the levelling dungeons, dpsing can really go into 'brain afk' mode as some people say here, and it still works mostly fine, so it's less entertaining to me.

I agree. That is why even though I am leveling as enhancement cuz windfury + 2hander is fun, I join must dungeon groups as a healer. I am actually surprised at how easy it is to heal 5mans as a non-resto spec. Basically Lesser Healing Wave spam and some totems. I imagine I will have to work harder and mix in some chain heals as I get into the 50+ lvl dungeons.
Nafro
Private
Private

Previous

Return to PVE Server Specific discussion