Actions flagging players discussion

Discussion forum related to PVE Server.

Actions flagging players discussion

by Uzephi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Okay, I started this as a regular question, but this can be a discussion with well thought out posts fixing and clarifying what would flag a player for PVP on a PVE realm. Lets try to get this as close to blizzlike as possible, and also warn those who don't want to be flagged how to avoid it.

I was on the PVP realm for a long time but rerolled due to overpopulation. On retail, I was on a pve realm to play with a friend and know from personal experience, any NPC that you can attack that has a PVP tag on it would flag you. In my leveling experience, I have found quite a few NPCs that have the PVP flag (opposing faction PVP marker on the target frame, and PVP notified in nameplate below name). I didn't roll pve on retail until TBC so I am wondering if this is normal in vanilla. Any insight would be helpful.

Examples I have ran into are the undead in north eastern ashenvale, the alliance PVP ones up on the road to felwood, the NPCs in Stonetalon to name the ones I personally have seen.

Are they incorrectly flagged as PVP or should they be flagging characters and are not flagging them? When I get closer to level cap, would the horde NPC in STV not flag me as well? (I remember her flagging alliance all the time). Would non hostiles in towns and cities not flag opposing faction players? Would going into an opposing major city auto flag like it is supposed to in a PVE realm?
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Re: Actions flagging players discussion

by Novae » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:09 am

Uzephi, I'm more of a forum lurker than poster, but I thought I'd throw my opinion in here, as this is something that I am very familiar with. If there have been very recent server changes on Nostalrius then some of this may not apply - this is my experience up to at least a few weeks ago. Incoming wall of text:

I almost exclusively played on retail PvP servers since release, and how the flagging works here is NOT Blizzlike. Keep in mind that what I am posting here is based on what retail servers were like from beta into at least TBC, and does not include "smart" PvP flagging server actions that were more recently introduced.

Mobs such as the Laughing Sisters at Raynewood Retreat in Ashenvale, the dwarves at Bael Modan in Southern Barrens, and the undead at Bathran's Haunt in northern Ashenvale are NOT supposed to be flagged as PvP targets. That being said, at least here they do not actually flag you for attacking them, regardless of their own flag.

There are a LOT of PvP flagging actions that are just outright wrong here. For instance, on retail vanilla, if you were flagged yourself and took a flight from any location, even if from inside a contested zone, you would immediately become unflagged while flying, and would remain unflagged until landing. If you landed in a contested zone, your flag would immediately turn back on.

There were many times that I, myself, would be fighting Alliance in Crossroads, flagged of course, and when I had enough and just wanted to unflag as quick as possible, I would just take a flight to Ratchet and it was immediately off and stayed off.

Also, here on Nostalrius PvP, if you are not flagged and fly from Stormwind and fly to Ironforge, you become flagged as soon as you cross into contested zones like Burning Steppes or Searing Gorge and remain flagged for as much as the 5 minute timer remains once you land. This is not Blizzlike.

Something else I've noticed is that friendly targets flying past you are immune to anything done to them here on Nostalrius. In retail, I used to see someone coming and give them Mark of the Wild or Rejuvenation while they went over me - sometimes with a whisper back saying "WTF?" afterwards. I did this for years. Not the case here.

In addition, there are quite a few other "bugs" regarding flagging I've noticed. I know for a fact that there is unintentional flagging that can be done. I can be flagged in front of the Stormwind bank and drop a campfire down. Any player that walks past it and gets the +4 Spirit buff becomes instantly flagged if they weren't before, because I was, and I "buffed" them. I have been flagged by other people's campfires sitting in cities as well.

One thing I did try on the PvE realm, was I came across a friendly Horde player that was AFK in a hidden spot. I flagged myself, dropped a fire down and my fellow Hordie got flagged. These types of flagging bugs care be abused way too easily.

This is on top of the already well-known AoE flagging bug on the PvE server - see a mage doing AoE, flag yourself, walk into it, and boom - he's now flagged and attackable.

One last thing - it's also known on the PvE realm that you can attack enemy NPCs and guards and you will not become flagged. What??? That's not right. On retail, you would also flag yourself for accidentally buffing or healing a friendly town guard instead of yourself or a friend. This does not happen here.

I state all of this not only from personal experience, but also from my videos and screenshots I've taken over all the years.
Novae
Grunt
Grunt

by Uzephi » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:42 am

Novae wrote:One last thing - it's also known on the PvE realm that you can attack enemy NPCs and guards and you will not become flagged. What??? That's not right. On retail, you would also flag yourself for accidentally buffing or healing a friendly town guard instead of yourself or a friend. This does not happen here.

I just noticed this as well. Also in PVE when you zone into an instance or take flight your flag would fall off as well. This doesn't happen on this server. The case of PVP flag "herpies" in dungeon groups is more prevalent due to this post's bug.
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Novae » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:16 am

I just noticed this as well. Also in PVE when you zone into an instance or take flight your flag would fall off as well. This doesn't happen on this server. The case of PVP flag "herpies" in dungeon groups is more prevalent due to this post's bug.

I had forgotten about the instance unflagging as well...very true.
Novae
Grunt
Grunt

by Pottu » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Please post these issues in our Bug Tracker.

The GM team.
Pottu
Game Master
Game Master

by Uzephi » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:39 pm

Pottu wrote:Please post these issues in our Bug Tracker.

The GM team.

I would Pottu, but as I stated in other sections of the forum, my ISP blacklists unsecure sites like that.I tried a VPN. I was able to go to a local coffee shop and tried to make an account, but it wouldn't let me log in. I would also like to collect enough data for the IsVV team as well before making a detailed report.

Edit: tested walking to Undercity. In retail the steps leading up to UC would always flag an Alliance player. I didn't get flagged until physically walking INTO UC through the gate or back door. Was going to try Org but the guards just had their way with me. (priest and all)... I attacked the guards with a SW:P and nothing, no flag.....
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to PVE Server Specific discussion