Petition for US Congress

Discussion forum related to Nostalrius Begins in general.

Re: Petition for US Congress

by nervous » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:58 pm

Hydra9268 wrote:
nervous wrote:y'all should have read the terms of usage when buying that copy of WoW in 2004

Are you trying to imply something? If you are, copy-pasta the part of the implied TOU and say what you mean. Enough with this innuendo.

How about section 1, the first thing you're supposed to read?

Grant of a Limited License to Use the Service
Subject to your agreement to and continuing compliance with the Blizzard Agreements, you may use the Service solely for your own non-commercial entertainment purposes by accessing it with an authorized, unmodified Game Client. You may not use the Service for any other purpose, or in connection with any other software.

Or if that isn't definitive enough, you can scan for another 10 seconds and see in section 2 a few lines down:

E. host, provide or develop matchmaking services for the Game or the Service, or intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard in any way, for any purpose, including without limitation unauthorized play over the internet, network play, or as part of content aggregation networks;

F. facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation (a) any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service; and (b) any connection using programs or tools not expressly approved by Blizzard;

G. violate any applicable law or regulation in connection with your use of the Game Client or the Service; or

H. disrupt or assist in the disruption of (i) any computer used to support the Service (each a “Server”); or (ii) any other player's Game experience. ANY ATTEMPT BY YOU TO DISRUPT THE SERVICE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE GAME CLIENT MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS.
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Uzephi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:04 am

nervous wrote:y'all should have read the terms of usage when buying that copy of WoW in 2004

TOU is not legally binding. It only affects my battle.net account and they can keep it.
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by nervous » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Uzephi wrote:

TOU is not legally binding. It only affects my battle.net account and they can keep it.

Tell me again how WoW was connected to battle.net or associated accounts in 2004 when it was written?
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Thefilth » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:37 am

nervous wrote:
Uzephi wrote:

Tell me again how WoW was connected to battle.net or associated accounts in 2004 when it was written?

It was not. He's still right though. As soon as you leave Activision Blizzard's sphere the TOU is void. Sure, they can ban every Nostalrius players' Battle.net account for breaking the TOU, but I doubt many of us would really care. Afterall, we're here because retail has taken too many steps in a direction too wrong, right?

TOU are ingame rules that if broken may result in severance of service. TOUs are not legally binding, not even in America, the Land of the Free, Home of Donald Trump & Creator of Kanye West and the Kardashians.

TL;DR: Nostalrius was not taken down because of TOU, LOL? it was a DMCA cease and desist.
Thefilth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Hydra9268 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:47 am

nervous wrote:
Hydra9268 wrote:

Are you trying to imply something? If you are, copy-pasta the part of the implied TOU and say what you mean. Enough with this innuendo.

How about section 1, the first thing you're supposed to read?

Grant of a Limited License to Use the Service
Subject to your agreement to and continuing compliance with the Blizzard Agreements, you may use the Service solely for your own non-commercial entertainment purposes by accessing it with an authorized, unmodified Game Client. You may not use the Service for any other purpose, or in connection with any other software.

Or if that isn't definitive enough, you can scan for another 10 seconds and see in section 2 a few lines down:

E. host, provide or develop matchmaking services for the Game or the Service, or intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard in any way, for any purpose, including without limitation unauthorized play over the internet, network play, or as part of content aggregation networks;

F. facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation (a) any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service; and (b) any connection using programs or tools not expressly approved by Blizzard;

G. violate any applicable law or regulation in connection with your use of the Game Client or the Service; or

H. disrupt or assist in the disruption of (i) any computer used to support the Service (each a “Server”); or (ii) any other player's Game experience. ANY ATTEMPT BY YOU TO DISRUPT THE SERVICE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE GAME CLIENT MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS.

Interesting. So where in the clause does it give Blizzard the legal right to completely remove vanilla content thereby making that version of the game unplayable? I own three copies of vanilla. That's about $100. Blizzard can't hide behind their TOU agreement when they have effectively destroyed the content that TOU is suppose to apply to.
DO NOT WANT PRISTINE REALMS!!!
Hydra9268
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by shietdawg » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:30 pm

The US congress wtf ... nerds went full retard hahaha why not call Obama in person. I am sad af tho but its just a game guys.. there are many problems way way more important in the worlds.. stop being so immuature , Its part of the life of a private server to get shut down one day you guys need to chill, spam Blizzard and ask them to make legacy servers ok but dont go full retards
shietdawg
Grunt
Grunt

by Hobospices » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Tranan wrote:I'm not quite sure who made this petition on Change.org, but the direction it is taking is different and interesting. As far as I can understand, the petition stands to try and make abandon-ware (Previous World of Warcraft expansions) exempt from copyright laws by the owning company, Blizzard, in this case. I think this might have some possibility of being a good path towards reviving Nostalrius, but it is up to everyone whether or not they agree. I have signed it, and so I hope it happens.

Cheers,
Aigaion (Raider for Wild Cards, PvE)

The Link: https://www.change.org/p/linda-s-geisle ... eservation

I signed the other petition intended for Blizzard, but unfortunately I don't believe this one has any chance - I don't think there's a hope in hell that Congress will do anything to touch copyright laws or otherwise interfere with a company's current ability to enforce it's copyrights. Substantial copyright reform has been an issue pushed by parties much larger than the gaming community without success.
Hobospices
Private
Private

by Dycrow » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:13 am

:arrow: SIGNED OF COURSE ;)
Dycrow
Tester

by EyeOfTruth » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:47 pm

I'm European, so this petition really does not concern me.

But all in fairness - I think this petition is little too utopian to have any effect in real life. In the end we are talking about turning current laws and politics.

This kind of change need little more dedicated political activism than just 1000 passionate nerd gamers. And currently there is not wide audience or support for it. What I mean, is activist with political agenda to change consumer laws and copyright laws - and ready to jump to the stage to disturb President candidate rallies with their own face. Lets call it "#NostalriusLivesMatter" - for political correctness.

But right now I dont see that happen.
EyeOfTruth
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Amerlene » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:54 pm

EyeOfTruth wrote:I'm European, so this petition really does not concern me.

Daemon wrote:Yesterday, we received a letter of formal notice from US and french lawyers, acting on behalf of Blizzard Entertainment, preparing to stand trial against our hosting company OVH and ourselves in less than a week now. This means the de facto end of Nostalrius under its current form.

yes it does.

However I'm still afraid that this petition in particular, is doomed.
Amerlene
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion